Derry

  • roslyn9177
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 27, 2007
      As a supporter of another first division club, I've had the pleasure of
      a few visits to Dens Park over the past couple of seasons. One thing
      that strikes me, and to which I've never found a definitive
      explanation, is the Dundee fan's extensive use of "Derry". It appears
      on a rather substantial flag which is frequently seen on the left side
      of the away support when we are at Dens (In the context "Dundee Derry
      Boys), it's referred to in a number of songs and it's also an
      unofficial name for one of the stands. I'm afraid it causes a lot of
      controversy when discussed amongst football circles and hope that
      Dundee historians in this group might be able to shed some light on the
      real reason for its use.
    • Anne Ide
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 28, 2007
        The area opposite the main stand at Dens has, in my fifty years of supporting Dundee, been known as "The Derry".
        i did wonder if it might have been a corruption of The Dairy - if there had been a business of that nature carried on in the vicinity in the past.
        I don't think you can read religious connotations into it.Apart from United's early incarnation, there has not been the bigotry which characterises football in Glasgow to be found in the city iof Dundee.

        Anne