Re: [dundee-history] Re: Unicorn in drydock

  • Dave Perks
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 31, 2007
      Hi Jim,
      I remember when the Unicorn was moved in 1962, It was put in dry dock to be inspected as it was thought that extensive repairs were going to be required. What they found was that the keel and her boards were as sound as the day she was built
      Dave

      The website at www.frigateunicorn.org
      is very detailed on some topics.

      --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Robertson" <jimjar@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Robertson" <jimjar@>
      wrote

      > > Over the next couple of days I shall scan these and place them in
      our
      > > web page, for all to enjoy. One shows her with two tugs fore and
      aft,
      > > with a helocopter overhead, in mid river. The other shows her
      being
      > > tugged out of the Dock area.
      > > x-x-x-x-x
      > These photos are now in our Photo Folder.
      > The first shows the Unicorn being moved from Camperdown Dock to the
      > Victoria Dock in 1963.This move was to facilitate work on the new
      road
      > bridge.
      >
      > In 1962 the Unicorn was moved downstream to make way for the
      > construction work on the road bridge. This was her first move from
      the
      > Earl Grey dock since she moved to dundee in 1873.
      >

      > I wonder if any of our local members have any contact these days
      wityh
      > the Unicorn Preservation Society, who published these PCs.?

      It has removed 1222 spam emails to date.

    • grahamkuk
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2007
        Thanks to everyone for the responses I received and the interest shown.
        I wasn't aware that Unicorn was in drydock in 1962 - I know about 1972
        because I was there and am still looking for the photos I took.

        I also came across some photos of the Victoria Arch and it reminded me
        of the incident that happened when it was being demolished - the big
        steel flagpole was tipped off the top by the workmen and it hit the
        ground then bounced straight over the site boundary fence and landed in
        the public car park next door flattening three cars - one of these
        belonged to my Dad and luckily he was in Edinburgh that day and he
        arrived back in the evening to see oor wee Mini-van with some seriously
        modified bodywork. Dad managed to drive it home and drove me and my
        older brother to Dens Road school the next day. Jings those were the
        days, we thought we were heroes turning up to school in the car that
        had been on the front page of the Tullie the night before.

        Now has anyone got that photo ???

        Thanks everyone, Graham

        > Hi Jim,
        > I remember when the Unicorn was moved in 1962, It was put in dry
        dock to be inspected as it was thought that extensive repairs were
        going to be required. What they found was that the keel and her boards
        were as sound as the day she was built
        > Dave
      • Michael Bolik
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 3, 2007
          That is a cool story about the Victoria Arch - though I suppose coming across your car damaged like that wasn't quite so cool at the time!

          We don't have the photograph of the aftermath, but we do have a slide taken at the time the arch was being demolished. I am attaching a smaller version to this message.

          Michael

          Michael Bolik
          Assistant Archivist
          Archive Services
          University of Dundee
          Dundee DD1 4HN
          tel. +44 (0)1382 384095
          fax. +44 (0)1382 385523
          www.dundee.ac.uk/archives
          ICA/SUV 2007 Conference, Dundee, Scotland:
          www.dundee.ac.uk/archives/SUV2007

          >>> "grahamkuk" <graham.kennedy@...> 02/08/2007 20:47 >>>
          Thanks to everyone for the responses I received and the interest shown.
          I wasn't aware that Unicorn was in drydock in 1962 - I know about 1972
          because I was there and am still looking for the photos I took.

          I also came across some photos of the Victoria Arch and it reminded me
          of the incident that happened when it was being demolished - the big
          steel flagpole was tipped off the top by the workmen and it hit the
          ground then bounced straight over the site boundary fence and landed in
          the public car park next door flattening three cars - one of these
          belonged to my Dad and luckily he was in Edinburgh that day and he
          arrived back in the evening to see oor wee Mini-van with some seriously
          modified bodywork. Dad managed to drive it home and drove me and my
          older brother to Dens Road school the next day. Jings those were the
          days, we thought we were heroes turning up to school in the car that
          had been on the front page of the Tullie the night before.

          Now has anyone got that photo ???

          Thanks everyone, Graham

          > Hi Jim,
          > I remember when the Unicorn was moved in 1962, It was put in dry
          dock to be inspected as it was thought that extensive repairs were
          going to be required. What they found was that the keel and her boards
          were as sound as the day she was built
          > Dave

          Please remember to bookmark our Home Page. Those with Yahoo IDs will be able to view our Archives of Messages,Files, and Bookmarks. Go to:

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Michael Bolik