Unicorn in drydock

  • grahamkuk
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 17 11:15 AM
      Last week I had the rare pleasure of staying in Dundee on business at
      the Apex Hotel next to Victoria Dock and the Unicorn. I do remember
      many years ago my Father asked me to get the camera out and go down to
      the docks an photograph Unicorn in the dry dock at Dundee - the one
      just next to wher she is now moored. I cannot remember exactly when
      this was and hope that someone out there may know the answer. My next
      task is to find those photos that I took.

      Any help will be most appreciated.

      Graham Kennedy
    • Charlotte Juarez
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 17 2:52 PM
        Dear Graham, just wanted to let you know that one of my fondest memories as a child was my mum taking me to the "Cressy" on Armistice sunday for the church service - her father was killed in his submarine ten days before the WWI Armistice. I remember the creaking of the ship and singing the hymns, especially the "Navy hymn." Never knew my grandfather of course, but this helped me have a childhood relationship with a "grandad." Best, Charlotte from dundee now in phoenix, az.

        To: dundee-history@yahoogroups.comFrom: graham.kennedy@...: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 18:15:24 +0000Subject: [dundee-history] Unicorn in drydock

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 18 3:22 PM
          --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "grahamkuk"
          <graham.kennedy@...> wrote:

          > Last week I had the rare pleasure of staying in Dundee on business at
          > the Apex Hotel next to Victoria Dock and the Unicorn. I do remember
          > many years ago my Father asked me to get the camera out and go down to
          > the docks an photograph Unicorn in the dry dock at Dundee -

          Hi there Graham,

          I used to pass the Unicorn several times a week during the school
          holidays when she was moored next to the Public Baths, in the Earl
          Grey Dock.This was in mthe '40s when my Mother gave my sister and I
          "twelve timers" to get into the baths !!

          I have saved a couple of PCs of the Unicorn being towed out of this
          dock, via the Camperdown Dock, to her later restring place. These PCs
          were published by the Unicorn Preservation Society, Victoria Dock, Dundee.

          Over the next couple of days I shall scan these and place them in our
          web page, for all to enjoy. One shows her with two tugs fore and aft,
          with a helocopter overhead, in mid river. The other shows her being
          tugged out of the Dock area.

          Jimmie
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 23 2:34 PM
            --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Robertson" <jimjar@...> wrote

            > Over the next couple of days I shall scan these and place them in our
            > web page, for all to enjoy. One shows her with two tugs fore and aft,
            > with a helocopter overhead, in mid river. The other shows her being
            > tugged out of the Dock area.
            > x-x-x-x-x
            These photos are now in our Photo Folder.
            The first shows the Unicorn being moved from Camperdown Dock to the
            Victoria Dock in 1963.This move was to facilitate work on the new road
            bridge.

            In 1962 the Unicorn was moved downstream to make way for the
            construction work on the road bridge. This was her first move from the
            Earl Grey dock since she moved to dundee in 1873.

            I wonder if any of our local members have any contact these days wityh
            the Unicorn Preservation Society, who published these PCs.?
          • tis_peter
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 23 4:14 PM
              Jim
              On the 17th July, when Graham posted about The Unicorn, I did email
              wrs@... and suggest that someone might like to
              respond. Perhaps as it is the holiday season, delays must be
              expected.

              The website at www.frigateunicorn.org
              is very detailed on some topics.

              wrote:

              > --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Robertson" <jimjar@>
              wrote

              > > Over the next couple of days I shall scan these and place them in
              our
              > > web page, for all to enjoy. One shows her with two tugs fore and
              aft,
              > > with a helocopter overhead, in mid river. The other shows her
              being
              > > tugged out of the Dock area.
              > > x-x-x-x-x
              > These photos are now in our Photo Folder.
              > The first shows the Unicorn being moved from Camperdown Dock to the
              > Victoria Dock in 1963.This move was to facilitate work on the new
              road
              > bridge.
              >
              > In 1962 the Unicorn was moved downstream to make way for the
              > construction work on the road bridge. This was her first move from
              the
              > Earl Grey dock since she moved to dundee in 1873.
              >

              > I wonder if any of our local members have any contact these days
              wityh
              > the Unicorn Preservation Society, who published these PCs.?

            • Dave Perks
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 31 1:21 PM
                Hi Jim,
                I remember when the Unicorn was moved in 1962, It was put in dry dock to be inspected as it was thought that extensive repairs were going to be required. What they found was that the keel and her boards were as sound as the day she was built
                Dave

                The website at www.frigateunicorn.org

                wrote:

                > --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Robertson" <jimjar@>
                wrote

                > > Over the next couple of days I shall scan these and place them in
                our
                > > web page, for all to enjoy. One shows her with two tugs fore and
                aft,
                > > with a helocopter overhead, in mid river. The other shows her
                being
                > > tugged out of the Dock area.
                > > x-x-x-x-x
                > These photos are now in our Photo Folder.
                > The first shows the Unicorn being moved from Camperdown Dock to the
                > Victoria Dock in 1963.This move was to facilitate work on the new
                road
                > bridge.
                >
                > In 1962 the Unicorn was moved downstream to make way for the
                > construction work on the road bridge. This was her first move from
                the
                > Earl Grey dock since she moved to dundee in 1873.
                >

                > I wonder if any of our local members have any contact these days
                wityh
                > the Unicorn Preservation Society, who published these PCs.?

                It has removed 1222 spam emails to date.

              • grahamkuk
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 2, 2007
                  Thanks to everyone for the responses I received and the interest shown.
                  I wasn't aware that Unicorn was in drydock in 1962 - I know about 1972
                  because I was there and am still looking for the photos I took.

                  I also came across some photos of the Victoria Arch and it reminded me
                  of the incident that happened when it was being demolished - the big
                  steel flagpole was tipped off the top by the workmen and it hit the
                  ground then bounced straight over the site boundary fence and landed in
                  the public car park next door flattening three cars - one of these
                  belonged to my Dad and luckily he was in Edinburgh that day and he
                  arrived back in the evening to see oor wee Mini-van with some seriously
                  modified bodywork. Dad managed to drive it home and drove me and my
                  older brother to Dens Road school the next day. Jings those were the
                  days, we thought we were heroes turning up to school in the car that
                  had been on the front page of the Tullie the night before.

                  Now has anyone got that photo ???

                  Thanks everyone, Graham

                  > Hi Jim,
                  > I remember when the Unicorn was moved in 1962, It was put in dry
                  dock to be inspected as it was thought that extensive repairs were
                  going to be required. What they found was that the keel and her boards
                  were as sound as the day she was built
                  > Dave
                • Michael Bolik
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 3, 2007
                    That is a cool story about the Victoria Arch - though I suppose coming across your car damaged like that wasn't quite so cool at the time!

                    We don't have the photograph of the aftermath, but we do have a slide taken at the time the arch was being demolished. I am attaching a smaller version to this message.

                    Michael

                    Michael Bolik
                    Assistant Archivist
                    Archive Services
                    University of Dundee
                    Dundee DD1 4HN
                    tel. +44 (0)1382 384095
                    fax. +44 (0)1382 385523
                    www.dundee.ac.uk/archives
                    ICA/SUV 2007 Conference, Dundee, Scotland:
                    www.dundee.ac.uk/archives/SUV2007

                    >>> "grahamkuk" <graham.kennedy@...> 02/08/2007 20:47 >>>
                    Thanks to everyone for the responses I received and the interest shown.
                    I wasn't aware that Unicorn was in drydock in 1962 - I know about 1972
                    because I was there and am still looking for the photos I took.

                    I also came across some photos of the Victoria Arch and it reminded me
                    of the incident that happened when it was being demolished - the big
                    steel flagpole was tipped off the top by the workmen and it hit the
                    ground then bounced straight over the site boundary fence and landed in
                    the public car park next door flattening three cars - one of these
                    belonged to my Dad and luckily he was in Edinburgh that day and he
                    arrived back in the evening to see oor wee Mini-van with some seriously
                    modified bodywork. Dad managed to drive it home and drove me and my
                    older brother to Dens Road school the next day. Jings those were the
                    days, we thought we were heroes turning up to school in the car that
                    had been on the front page of the Tullie the night before.

                    Now has anyone got that photo ???

                    Thanks everyone, Graham

                    > Hi Jim,
                    > I remember when the Unicorn was moved in 1962, It was put in dry
                    dock to be inspected as it was thought that extensive repairs were
                    going to be required. What they found was that the keel and her boards
                    were as sound as the day she was built
                    > Dave

                    Please remember to bookmark our Home Page. Those with Yahoo IDs will be able to view our Archives of Messages,Files, and Bookmarks. Go to:

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Michael Bolik