Re: [dundee-history] WITCH'S BLOOD

  • Anne Ide
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 18, 2007
      It's likely that the author based the story loosely on that of Grizzel Jaffray, reputed to be the last witch burned in Dundee, in 1669, eighteen years after Monk's sacking of the town.
      I first read the story in "The History of Dundee", given to me as a Christmas present in 1959 (I have it yet) . As an eight year old, I was fascinated and horrified in equal measure.

      Anne

      Sheryl Kauspedas <sherylkay@...> wrote:
      Hi All. I'm reading the book Witch's Blood and finding it
      fascinating. I can't seem to find a consensus on the veracity of the
      story. Are there any opinions or better yet, proof, of the true
      existence of the family of the surname "English" described in the
      book? Thanks for your insight.

    • Sheryl Kauspedas
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 18, 2007
        Thank you Anne. According to Witch's Blood there were only 2 witches
        burned in Dundee. One was the witch of the book, Elspet Renkyne, and
        the other was Grizzel Butchart (nee Jaffray.) Still no documentation I
        can find of the existence of the Renkyne or English family, nor the
        denial of their existence. Thanks again for helping to piece together
        this puzzle. Sheryl
      • PATRICIA PARKER
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 18, 2007
          I know that Highland women are supposed to be fey and possessing abilities with second sight, etc. Also, are you aware that Anne Rice's family of witches originates in the Scottish Highlands. "Life is what happens while you are making plans", John Lennon

          To: dundee-history@yahoogroups.comFrom: anne_ide2003@...: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 10:28:33 +0100Subject: Re: [dundee-history] WITCH'S BLOOD

          It's likely that the author based the story loosely on that of Grizzel Jaffray, reputed to be the last witch burned in Dundee, in 1669, eighteen years after Monk's sacking of the town.I first read the story in "The History of Dundee", given to me as a Christmas present in 1959 (I have it yet) . As an eight year old, I was fascinated and horrified in equal measure.AnneSheryl Kauspedas <sherylkay@...> wrote:Hi All. I'm reading the book Witch's Blood and finding it fascinating. I can't seem to find a consensus on the veracity of the story. Are there any opinions or better yet, proof, of the true existence of the family of the surname "English" described in the book? Thanks for your insight.---------------------------------All New Yahoo! Mail � Tired of unwanted email come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you.[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]