Blackscroft and Foundry Lane area

  • tis_peter
    Message 1 of 4 , May 27, 2007
      Please can someone tell me when the Blackscroft and Foundry Lane area
      ceased to be residential?
      Presumably the area was tenements to pack people in close to the mills
      that were just a little further uphill from the river Tay?
      Can anyone describe what the area was like, please?
      Peter Marshall
    • Ken Anton
      Message 2 of 4 , May 27, 2007
        Hello again

        Most of the tenements were demolished in the mid to late 1960s. I don't
        remember much about the area, but the tenements were just like most other
        areas in Dundee.

        K.

        Please can someone tell me when the Blackscroft and Foundry Lane area
        ceased to be residential?
        Presumably the area was tenements to pack people in close to the mills
        that were just a little further uphill from the river Tay?
        Can anyone describe what the area was like, please?
        Peter Marshall

        Please remember to bookmark our Home Page. Those with Yahoo IDs will be able
        to view our Archives of Messages,Files, and Bookmarks. Go to:

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Dave Perks
        Message 3 of 4 , May 29, 2007
          Foundry lane was wqs demolished in the late 60s' The Lane ran east to west from the junction of The Seagate and Blackscroft to the junction of Peep O day Lane . At the west end on the north side there was a public convinience the stairs that ran up to the Blackscroft. Next to this was a tenement, which in North america would be described as a three story tenement ( in Dundee a two story) there was twenty four families lived here. Next to that the was a part of the old foundry still standing and was used by a building contractor. The old foundry
          had been demolished many years before. At the east end there was another tenement. This one was a three story and housed sixteen families, This tenement also housed the author of Frankenstien.

          On the south side of the lane running mid way up was the Cleansing department, where at one time all of Dundee's garbage was taken to be sorted. before being dumped in the various land fills.

          On this side was also the coal yards where most of the coal merchants in Dundee had their coal delivered.

          The lane stopped at the junction of Peep O Day lane where the gas works took up the whole side of the lane on the east side from Dock Street To the junction of Wallace Brae, Blackscroft and the Ferry Road.

          There was also a small church on the corner of Peep O Day and Foundry lanes. The name escapes me now Also on Peep O day there was a small three story tenement which housed twelve families.
          I hope this helps you in your search. If it is ancesturs that you are looking for, I might be able to help you as I knew and still remember many of the names of the people who lived in that area.

          Dave Perks.
          Ontasrio Canada

          On the ----- Original Message -----

          Please can someone tell me when the Blackscroft and Foundry Lane area
          ceased to be residential?
          Presumably the area was tenements to pack people in close to the mills
          that were just a little further uphill from the river Tay?
          Can anyone describe what the area was like, please?
          Peter Marshall

          It has removed 1140 spam emails to date.

        • tis_peter
          Message 4 of 4 , May 30, 2007
            Thanks Dave.
            You breathe a spark of life into the area with your description.

            It is partly because of a family by the unusual name of Blackery that
            I am interested, but I think that they mostly scattered to places
            like Perth and Crail.

            I am interested in the industrial history of Dundee and the way
            people were squeezed in amongst the mills.

            --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Perks" <banjo046@...>