Re: [dundee-history] Re: Paddy Mitchell's School

  • Anne Ide
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 22, 2007
      The "old" Wallacetown housed the part-timers from the mills at the turn of the last century.
      My grandmother and her sisters attended.
      I started Primary 1 at Wallacetown in 1956 and was in the last Primary 7 when the school closed for good in 1963.
      It had a great track record for an impoverished inner-city school - out of my class of 30, I can count 6 of us who went on to university, at a time when only 5-10% of the population went on to tertiary education.
      Take a bow, those teachers!

      Anne

      sandramuir8 <sandraammuir@...> wrote:
      Hi Robin
      The school that springs to mind is Wallacetown which was situated in
      Crescent Street. It had two buildings - the older one was adjacent to
      Wallacetown Church (now Trinity) and the newer one was further down
      Crescent Street, facing up Brown Constable Street; the playground
      overlooked Crescent Lane. I know my grandparents attended Wallacetown
      (as I did in the 50s) but I don't know when it was built - probably
      about the same time as the Church, I would guess.
      I'm also interested in your grandfather's name - Robert Robb. My mother
      had a cousin of that name who went to Zimbabwe.

      Sandra Muir

      > Hi Peter
      >
      > My grandfather lived in the area around what was then Crescent
      Street and Victoria Street around the time when he would have been
      attending school.

    • sandramuir8
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 24, 2007
        Hi Anne, I was just a couple of years ahead of you - started in
        February 1953 and left in February 1960.
        Sandra
      • Anne Ide
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 25, 2007
          Hi Sandra
          You'll remember some of the characters - Miss Sharp in the infants, Miss Forbes, who became Mrs Tryon, Mrs Ross, Miss MacLaren, Miss Geoghan and Miss Winifred Mitchell.
          Then Mr Ritchie, the headmaster, who was always wreathed in a cloud of cigarette smoke, and Mr Cluckie.
          I loved my time at Wallacetown.
          Anne (Batchelor)

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 25, 2007
            Yes, Anne. I do indeed remember them. I came across Miss Mitchell and
            Miss McLaren at Glebie in 1968 when I did a teaching placement there. I
            met up with Mr Cluckie at another school but I can't remember which one.
            Sandra (Dow)
          • ken.anton@tesco.net
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 25, 2007
              Aha! I might have been one of the kids in the class - Miss MacLaren was my P5 teacher at Glebelands in 1968-69.

              From: "sandramuir8" <sandraammuir@...>
              Date: 2007/04/25 Wed PM 07:55:05 GMT
              To: dundee-history@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: [dundee-history] Re: Paddy Mitchell's School

              Yes, Anne. I do indeed remember them. I came across Miss Mitchell and
              Miss McLaren at Glebie in 1968 when I did a teaching placement there. I
              met up with Mr Cluckie at another school but I can't remember which one.
              Sandra (Dow)

              Please remember to bookmark our Home Page. Those with Yahoo IDs will be able to view our Archives of Messages,Files, and Bookmarks. Go to:

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Anne Ide
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 25, 2007
                I did get a phtograph from either the Courier or the Evening Telegraph forwarded to me a few years ago. It showed a group of former Wallacetown pupils having a reunion with Miss MacLaren. She must have been well into her eighties, but still instantly recognisable.
                I had Miss Mitchell (taught me in P6 and 7) up for tea when I returned to Dundee for a few years in the late 1980s.
                She had quite a fund of stories!

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 26, 2007
                  My placement was with Miss Mitchell but I walked with Miss McLaren's
                  class to the baths!!
                  AND.... we might even be related because I have Antons in my family
                  tree.

                  Sandra
                • Ken Anton
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 8, 2007
                    Hello Sandra,

                    Re Antons in your family tree - I've done a fair amount of research into the
                    Antons, contact me off-list if you are interested in seeing if we have a
                    link.

                    Best regards

                    Ken