Re: [dundee-history] The 'gait's of Dundee

  • atlmburns@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 22, 2007
      There were 8 Gates originally.

    • Brian, Doon the Toon
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 24, 2007
        On 23 Apr 2007, at 09:21, dundee-history@yahoogroups.com included:

        > Thanks to everyone for the reponses to my initial enquiry, I now have
        > a picture of where the Stannergate was/is, but I now have the question
        > of how may 'gaits' Dundee actually had and the purpose of them? Thanks
        > for any help, Donna

        Hi Donna.

        The thing to bear in mind is that the old word "gait", changed in
        spelling to the modern "gate", was a word meaning road.
        The purpose of a road? To get from anywhere to Dundee! The gates
        allowing access through the city walls were known as the various
        "ports".

        Gatewise in Dundee, we had/have:-
        Fluker Gate - now Nethergate, the low road. Originally Flukergait
        because fishers of flukes (a species of fish) resided there as the sea
        came right up to the back of where Grouchos is now.
        Argyle Gate - now Overgate, the high road. Led from Mercat Gate to
        Argyle Port, now known as West Port.
        Mercat Gate - now High Street.
        Murraygate, going from High Street to Wellgate.
        Wellgate - the road to Wellgate Port and Our Lady's Well at the foot of
        Hilltown.
        Seagate, as mentioned, previously known as St. Mary's Gate and Lady
        Gate.
        Cowgate, which led from Murraygate to the East Port, roughly where
        Wishart's Arch is now.
        Stannergate, as mentioned.
        Marketgait - a 1960s/70s development; the inner ring road, as
        previously mentioned.; split into North, East, South and West.
        Billgates - all powerful leader from the dark side of Wintelworld.

        Have a look at the map below for graphical info:-

        http://www.dundeecity.gov.uk/centlib/maps/map1/main.htm

        Use the buttons at the bottom of the map to pan left/right/up/down and
        zoom in/out.

        Doon MacEyemack 8=)

        "An Apple at work keeps the techie away."