address search

  • the.oriole
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 5, 2007
      Hello everyone, I'm the new kid on the block looking for information. I
      am trying to research my roots and came across a birth certificate that
      gave the address of 12 City Rd in Dundee as the place of birth. Can
      anyone tell me if that was an old hospital and if so is it still there?
      Also is it anywhere near Kincardine St.

      I also read one of the articles where someone was inquiring about a
      jute mill. On the same document as mentioned above, my grandfather,
      Arthur Mcrae was listed as a jute preparer. He lived at 21 Kincardine
      St. and if he worked at some sort of mill it may not be to far from
      there.

      Any help would be appreciated
    • tis_peter
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 5, 2007
        Before you go too far with this,it would be helpful to have an idea
        of dates for the events you are interested in.
        City Road is 2km (1.2 miles) WSW of Dundee High Street whilst
        Kincardine St is closer in at about 1km W of the High Street.
        Depending on what era(s) you are talking about, there were well over
        a hundred different mills in Dundee with many of them in a broad
        sweep from the city centre running West then veering North-West
        towards Lochee which has its own High Street.
        City Road used to be the link between Lochee and the 'City'.

        Use multimap.co.uk to help yourself find streetnames and areas within
        Dundee and Lochee.

        There are still some of the original tenement buildings standing in
        City Road. If live at a distance and would like me to take picture
        or two, let me know. Kincardine Street is now within the University
        complex area. It is a while since I have been there, but I do not
        recall there being any old residences remaining.

        Peter.

        --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "the.oriole"
        <the.oriole@...> wrote:

        > Hello everyone, I'm the new kid on the block looking for
        information. I
        > am trying to research my roots and came across a birth certificate
        that
        > gave the address of 12 City Rd in Dundee as the place of birth. Can
        > anyone tell me if that was an old hospital and if so is it still
        there?
        > Also is it anywhere near Kincardine St.
        >
        > I also read one of the articles where someone was inquiring about a
        > jute mill. On the same document as mentioned above, my
        grandfather,
        > Arthur Mcrae was listed as a jute preparer. He lived at 21
        Kincardine
        > St. and if he worked at some sort of mill it may not be to far from
        > there.
        >
        > Any help would be appreciated

      • Ken Anton
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 5, 2007
          Hello,

          12 City Road lies on the lefthand side of City Road going uphill from
          Rosefield Street to Scott Street. The original buildings are no longer
          there, but have been recently replaced by modern ones. The originals would
          have been typical tenements, but the site has been empty for a long time.

          As a general note, most streets in Dundee are numbered upwards with the odds
          on the right and evens on the left. And usually the numbers ascend heading
          away from the city centre

          Kincardine Street no longer exists (according to the Royal Mail postcode
          finder website, I'm not sure where it would have been.

          Back at City Road, the pub "The Queen Anne" is at number 38 so that might
          give a clue to the type of building.

          Best regards

          Ken

          <the.oriole@...> wrote:

          > Hello everyone, I'm the new kid on the block looking for
          information. I
          > am trying to research my roots and came across a birth certificate
          that
          > gave the address of 12 City Rd in Dundee as the place of birth. Can
          > anyone tell me if that was an old hospital and if so is it still
          there?
          > Also is it anywhere near Kincardine St.
          >
          > I also read one of the articles where someone was inquiring about a
          > jute mill. On the same document as mentioned above, my
          grandfather,
          > Arthur Mcrae was listed as a jute preparer. He lived at 21
          Kincardine
          > St. and if he worked at some sort of mill it may not be to far from
          > there.
          >
          > Any help would be appreciated

          Please remember to bookmark our Home Page. Those with Yahoo IDs will be able
          to view our Archives of Messages,Files, and Bookmarks. Go to:

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • johnwirvine@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 5, 2007
            Hi,

            Sorry to correct everyone but 12 City Road is on the left hand side going up
            between Blyth Place and Baxter Street - almost opposite the Queen Anne pub.

            City Road was not number in a regular fashion originally.

            The houseson that side of City Road with "half" landings running off city
            road some still exist although 12 was probably a 4 storey tenement - I have a
            1920's picture of some of them - and the same type of building as the
            tenements on the other side still in existence.

            Regards

            John I

          • johnwirvine@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 5, 2007
              OOps - correction right hand side going up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

              John I

              The building on the corner on the left is the Queen Anne Pub and no. 12 is
              almost opposite - the street on the left is Blyth Street and the street on the
              left by the pub is Scott Street

              Regards

              John I

            • irvine1610
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 5, 2007
                --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, johnwirvine@... wrote:

                > Tried to insert a photograph - didn't work - whoever wants a photo of
                city road please give email address and I will send direct.

              • ANNE RENNIE
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 17, 2007
                  The right hand side going up is the odd numbers!

                • markhenderson5
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 18, 2007
                    Kincardine Street is still there. It is on the North side of the Old
                    Hawkhill, opposite Belmont Tower, although no buildings exist in it
                    any longer, so it's not surprising that the Postcode finder didn't
                    turn up anything.

                    Best Regards
                    Mark Henderson

                    --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Anton" <ken.anton@...>