Jute mills of dundee

  • John
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 8, 2007
      Hi All
      Happy new year to everyone.
      I have been searching for some time for a jute mill in dundee,with no
      much success, however i will keep searching but if anyone knows of a
      jute mill that was named Barnes or barns jute mill in dundee i would
      appreciate anything that anyone knows of it.
      Mum and dad ,and there mum and dad used to work in it as youngsters
      and im sure they said the name was barns barnses jute mill ,however im
      starting to doubt it as im not finding anything on it.
      Anyone know anything or know of a site that may point me into the
      right direction??
      have a great year all and just to let you know that this site has
      helped us endlessly with things from the past regarding dundee,and
      also solved many an argument as were in australia and without this
      site we would never bridge the gap between past and present
      dundee,keep up the good work it is greatly appreciated over here...
      John Lowden
    • Michael Bolik
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 9, 2007
        Hi

        I don't think there was ever a jute mill by that name. The closest I
        can see are Barrack Street Mill, though this was demolished too early
        (1870s) and Bower Mill. Bower Mill was in use until 1988, so might be a
        more likely candidate.

        Michael

        Michael Bolik
        Assistant Archivist
        Archive Services
        University of Dundee
        Dundee DD1 4HN
        tel. +44 (0)1382 384095
        fax. +44 (0)1382 385523
        www.dundee.ac.uk/archives

        >>> "John" <jlo33692@...> 09/01/2007 06:28 >>>
        Hi All
        Happy new year to everyone.
        I have been searching for some time for a jute mill in dundee,with no
        much success, however i will keep searching but if anyone knows of a
        jute mill that was named Barnes or barns jute mill in dundee i would
        appreciate anything that anyone knows of it.
        Mum and dad ,and there mum and dad used to work in it as youngsters
        and im sure they said the name was barns barnses jute mill ,however im
        starting to doubt it as im not finding anything on it.
        Anyone know anything or know of a site that may point me into the
        right direction??
        have a great year all and just to let you know that this site has
        helped us endlessly with things from the past regarding dundee,and
        also solved many an argument as were in australia and without this
        site we would never bridge the gap between past and present
        dundee,keep up the good work it is greatly appreciated over here...
        John Lowden

        Please remember to bookmark our Home Page. Those with Yahoo IDs will be
        able to view our Archives of Messages,Files, and Bookmarks. Go to:

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • markhenderson5
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 10, 2007
          Hi Michael

          I wondering if John is getting that mixed up with "Craigiebarns"
          which was in fact named after "Wallace Craigie" who owned mills.

          Failing that, what about "Barns of Claverhouse" where there was a
          mill of some kind?

          Best Regards
          Mark Henderson

          --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Bolik"
          <m.d.bolik@...> wrote:

          > Hi
          >
          > I don't think there was ever a jute mill by that name. The closest I
          > can see are Barrack Street Mill, though this was demolished too
          early
          > (1870s) and Bower Mill. Bower Mill was in use until 1988, so might
          be a
          > more likely candidate.
          >
          > Michael
          >
          > Michael Bolik
          > Assistant Archivist
          > Archive Services
          > University of Dundee
          > Dundee DD1 4HN
          > tel. +44 (0)1382 384095
          > fax. +44 (0)1382 385523
          > www.dundee.ac.uk/archives

          > Hi All
          > Happy new year to everyone.
          > I have been searching for some time for a jute mill in dundee,with
          no
          > much success, however i will keep searching but if anyone knows of a
          > jute mill that was named Barnes or barns jute mill in dundee i would
          > appreciate anything that anyone knows of it.
          > Mum and dad ,and there mum and dad used to work in it as youngsters
          > and im sure they said the name was barns barnses jute mill ,however
          im
          > starting to doubt it as im not finding anything on it.
          > Anyone know anything or know of a site that may point me into the
          > right direction??
          > have a great year all and just to let you know that this site has
          > helped us endlessly with things from the past regarding dundee,and
          > also solved many an argument as were in australia and without this
          > site we would never bridge the gap between past and present
          > dundee,keep up the good work it is greatly appreciated over here...
          > John Lowden
          >

          > Please remember to bookmark our Home Page. Those with Yahoo IDs
          will be
          > able to view our Archives of Messages,Files, and Bookmarks. Go to:

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • John
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 14, 2007
            Hi Michael,and all others that replied, i have found where i went wrong,
            apparently it was not a jute mill but some form of hesion or sack place
            that was called
            BARN,S or Barnes Callender.
            Im sorry for wasting anyones time looking for a jute mill ,i thought
            that was what it was,but now told it was this sack or hesion bags placey
            that sent things to the jute mills, Does anyone know of this place or
            have any information about barnes callender? oh gooood i hope ive the
            right name this time or i may be heading to the side lines,banished from
            any more entries hahaha
            thanks again to those that wasted time on the original
            question...kindest regards John xxx
            --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "markhenderson5"