Blackness address

  • jutemill05
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2006
      Hello everyone.
      My relatives lived at 80 Blackness Road in Dundee for many years.
      I was wondering if anyone could tell me if that address still exists.
      If it does, what intersection is it closest to?
      If it doesn't exist anymore, would anyone know what kind of dwelling
      it would have been in the early 1930's?
      I have tried google maps, but it will only give me the street, not the
      specific address.
      Thank you. Any help is much appreciated
      Ruth
      Halfax, Canada
    • ibmpscott.co.uk
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2006
        Ruth

        Can you view Google Earth?

        To some this may seem laborious but be patient, it works.

        If you can, search to 'Blackness Road, Dundee' and at the same time have the 'road names' box ticked.

        My Grandmother lived at 326 Blackness Road and the majority of the houses seem to be semis also the houses were/are number even on one side and odd numbers on the other.

        326 is opposite the Bowling Green and with the red car parked in the road, also three houses to the left of the Blackness Road and Balgay Road junction and the left hand of the two semis.

        Some quick maths and then count back 123 houses from 326 to the east or towards the town (oooops sorry) city and it looks like Number 80 may well be in amongst all the roundabouts and new developments.

        Hope it works.

        Iain Scott
        TVFHS Member 3667
        Researching Scott, Baxter, Bathgate, Grant
        www.ibmpscott.co.uk

          80 Blackness Road was between Kincardine Street and Watsons Lane
          which to my knowledge is knocked down.

          regards
          John
          At 12:29 03/12/2006, you wrote:

          >Hello everyone.
          >My relatives lived at 80 Blackness Road in Dundee for many years.
          >I was wondering if anyone could tell me if that address still exists.
          >If it does, what intersection is it closest to?
          >If it doesn't exist anymore, would anyone know what kind of dwelling
          >it would have been in the early 1930's?
          >I have tried google maps, but it will only give me the street, not the
          >specific address.
          >Thank you. Any help is much appreciated
          >Ruth
          >Halfax, Canada
        • Anne Ide
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 3, 2006
            At thet point, Blackness Road consisted of 3 or 4 storey stone-built tenements, dating from the 1800s.
            Some had inside toilets, others had shared facilities. The occupants would be mainly mill workers from the surrounding factories.
            Anne

            At 12:29 03/12/2006, you wrote:

            >Hello everyone.
            >My relatives lived at 80 Blackness Road in Dundee for many years.
            >I was wondering if anyone could tell me if that address still exists.
            >If it does, what intersection is it closest to?
            >If it doesn't exist anymore, would anyone know what kind of dwelling
            >it would have been in the early 1930's?
            >I have tried google maps, but it will only give me the street, not the
            >specific address.
            >Thank you. Any help is much appreciated
            >Ruth
            >Halfax, Canada

          • parkneuk1940
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 3, 2006
              Hello Ruth,

              Check http://www.dundeecity.gov.uk/photodb/index.html

              Page 50 shows some pictures of Old Hawkhill which ran parallel to
              Blackness Road, and page 118 pictures of Westport.

              The tenement housing would have been much the same as in these
              photos.

              Out of curiosity I checked the 1881 census for your no 80 and there
              appeared to be around 50 families at that address, which sounds as if
              there was may also have been a back land. Another tenement perhaps
              entered through a pend or close. So fairly close packed living
              confitions.

              I was brought up in Annfield Road in a but and ben, (room and
              kitchen, come living room, come bedroom) tenement, toilet out the
              back, just like the ones in the photos.

              Best wishes,
              Kath.

              --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "jutemill05" <jutemill05@...>
              wrote:

              > Hello everyone.
              > My relatives lived at 80 Blackness Road in Dundee for many years.
              > I was wondering if anyone could tell me if that address still
              exists.
              > If it does, what intersection is it closest to?
              > If it doesn't exist anymore, would anyone know what kind of
              dwelling
              > it would have been in the early 1930's?
              > I have tried google maps, but it will only give me the street, not
              the
              > specific address.
              > Thank you. Any help is much appreciated
              > Ruth