Samuel Hirst - Dundee's Master of Music

  • Ken Anton
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 25, 2006
      Hello,

      A friend of mine has told me about a new book written by Ian McCraw and
      published by the Friends of Dundee City Archives, which may be of interest
      to anyone interested in the history of music locally.

      Samuel Hirst became the first organist at Dundee Parish Church (St, Mary’s),
      aged 22, and held that post for 50 years. He formed an amateur opera
      company in Dundee.

      He was also involved with musical societies in Cupar, Blairgowrie, Perth and
      Forfar, and occasionally in other places such as Kirkcaldy and Newport.
      Travel must have been a problem for him in the 1870s and 1880s. No bridge
      to Fife and the Blairgowrie trains stopped early in the evening.

      He was a leading music teacher in Dundee, giving lessons in organ, piano,
      harmonium and singing. He was also the “city organist” in the Kinnaird Hall
      in Bank Street.

      It is on sale through Friends of Dundee City Archives, c/o Dundee City
      Archives, 21 City Square. Dundee DD1 3BY at the price of £6 plus postage.

      Best regards

      Ken