Re: Books from days gone bye

  • John
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 13, 2006
      Thank you Sylvia
      I appreciate you trying to put the stuff through for me anyway.
      what a beautiful part of the world healsville is,did you grow up
      alongside the puffing billy train? One of the great tourist train
      rides i have ever been on,anyone comming into melbourne is missing out
      on one of lifes great experiences if they miss the puffing billy trip huh?
      Thanks again for your reply ,i honestly cant believe how many
      Dundonians there are scattered accors the planet,it appears there are
      more outside of dundee than inside it,but everyone has one thing in
      common,none appear to have forgotten there roots and the recall on
      things that happened so long ago is amazing,as is the ability to help
      and share the knowlege the posses,it is a wonderful site ecause the
      people on it are carring and sharring people.
      Thanks again sylvia....John

      --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "Sylvia H Rowe" <syjoro@...> wrote:

      > Hi John, I'm just back from 4 days in Melb & Healesville where I
      grew up..
      > Glad to see so many were able to help you..hope you get some books
      for dad too... Sorry my stuff didn't come through for you... All the
      Best Sylvia from Hamilton Vic, Australia.

      9/08/2006

    • Sylvia H Rowe
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 13, 2006
        Hi John, I've been on the Puffing Billy many years ago now, and agree it's great but it's not that close to Healesville more the Dandenong Hills area. We are more famous for the Healesville Sanctuary. My dad worked there and we would have up to twenty sick snakes in cages at home at a time... that we would help them get back to health after contracting a disease in there gills. We then bred hundreds of mice to feed them. Send me an email direct to syjoro@... and just put John: Re Dundee so I'll see you in my junk mail.. then I can still give you heaps I've things I've got and pic's of Dundee. Bye for now Sylvia.
        I appreciate you trying to put the stuff through for me anyway.
        what a beautiful part of the world healsville is,did you grow up
        alongside the puffing billy train? One of the great tourist train
        rides i have ever been on,anyone comming into melbourne is missing out
        on one of lifes great experiences if they miss the puffing billy trip huh?
        Thanks again for your reply ,i honestly cant believe how many
        Dundonians there are scattered accors the planet,it appears there are
        more outside of dundee than inside it,but everyone has one thing in
        common,none appear to have forgotten there roots and the recall on
        things that happened so long ago is amazing,as is the ability to help
        and share the knowlege the posses,it is a wonderful site ecause the
        people on it are carring and sharring people.
        Thanks again sylvia....John

        --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "Sylvia H Rowe" <syjoro@...> wrote:

        > Hi John, I'm just back from 4 days in Melb & Healesville where I
        grew up..
        > Glad to see so many were able to help you..hope you get some books
        for dad too... Sorry my stuff didn't come through for you... All the
        Best Sylvia from Hamilton Vic, Australia.

      • Gweneth Myers
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 14, 2006
          G'day John,
          May I suggest that you either tape record your Dad's memories or at least write them down. I made a tape recording of my father-in-law back in the 70s about his life growing up in Carlton (Melbourne) in the 1920s, 1930s and he mentions old buildings, street names, colourful characters. He passed away 5 years ago but the tape keeps his history alive for his grandchildren. My dad's grandparents came from Dundee and I wished I had of thought of using a tape recorder while he was still around.
          Regards
          Gwen

        • sandramuir8
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 15, 2006
            Hi John! I've just read Dundee Memories by Ian M Malcolm. It was
            published by Birlinn Limited in 2005.(www.birlinn.co.uk) I got it from
            Amazon. The author was born in 1925 so it's maybe a bit early for your
            dad but I think he'd like it anyway.

            A' the best,
            Sandra
          • John Lowden
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 18, 2006
              Thank you very much sandra
              I will look up and see where i can buy a copy,it sounds like a ripper of a
              book and im sure dad will love it.
              Thank you for taking the time to respond,it is very much appreciated.

              Cheerio in the noo,hahaha

              kindest regards John