Re: [dundee-history] Streets and buildings in Dundee

  • John Fidler
    Message 1 of 8 , May 17 6:03 PM
      East Port Works was in the Cowgate and still survives, it has been turned
      into flats. I used to work there.
      Joyce

      Message 2 of 8 , May 17 8:05 PM
        You are correct in saying that the East port works were in the Cowgate. That was the workers entrance. The front office was in King Street. the building was on both streets.
        East Port Works was in the Cowgate and still survives, it has been turned
        into flats. I used to work there.
        Joyce

        When was Fish Street demolished? My ancestor lived there in 1851, as
        per census entry.
        Later they lived at 65 King Street, this is part of a large building.
        Was this building built to house workers in the docks or for the
        linen/flax industry? When was this building constructed. As a new
        member I appreciate any help that can be given. Regards Stuart Mackie.

        Please remember to bookmark our Home Page. Those with Yahoo IDs will be
        able to view our Archives of Messages,Files, and Bookmarks. Go to:

        Service.

        Please remember to bookmark our Home Page. Those with Yahoo IDs will be able
        to view our Archives of Messages,Files, and Bookmarks. Go to:

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Please remember to bookmark our Home Page. Those with Yahoo IDs will be able to view our Archives of Messages,Files, and Bookmarks. Go to:

      • stuart mackie
        Message 3 of 8 , May 17 10:13 PM
          Hi Everybody, Thanks for the info. I will follow the suggestions up. It was certainly worth while joining the group. Been struggling with this for quite a while. My trip to Fife and Dundee this year will again be fruitful. Researching Mackie, Wilson, Kay, Key, Mackay in St Andrews, Pittenweem and Dundee. Eventually my father's 7 year stint in Canada between 1920 and 1927. Very best regards, Stuart Mackie.

          Dave Perks <banjo046@...> wrote: You are correct in saying that the East port works were in the Cowgate. That was the workers entrance. The front office was in King Street. the building was on both streets.

          Message 4 of 8 , May 21 11:57 AM
            That's interesting that Fish Street was demolished in 1878. My gg
            grandfather Charles Christie lived at 8 Fish Street in 1881,
            according to the Census. Perhaps it took a while for it all to go? He
            is listed as a general labourer lodging with John McLeod and his wife
            Elizabeth. There are 12 lodgers, including one Ismail Arahabad, a
            hawker from India! Incidentally gg grandad died in the Poor House in
            1890.
            Sandra Muir

            --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, Robin Hallam <rhallam@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi Stuart
            >
            > The web site www.dundeecity.gov.uk has some excellent photos and an
            illustration of the buildings of Fish Street around 1870. You will
            also find the information that Fish Street was demolished in 1878 and
            that after the 1840's it was frequented by "unsavoury characters"