Balingarney?

  • gzmcwherter
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 23, 2006
      Hello,
      I wonder if anyone can help me with this.
      I have an individual for whom the OPR's show a birth and christening
      in Ruthven Parish (Angus) in 1803 and identifies the father as a
      coachman of Islabank. The 1841 freecensus of Dundee then shows a
      birthplace of Outside Census County, which I thought was an error. I
      have now checked the 1851 Census on SP, and the birthplace is listed
      as Balingarney, Perth. I have not found any subsequent census entries.
      I have checked a couple of old maps (1794 & 1825) trying to locate
      this place and have had no luck. Ruthven borders on the Parish of
      Alyth in Perth, so a Perth birth is possible, but where is
      Balingarney? There is no such parish, so I'm tempted to think it might
      be a farm... Does this name ring a bell with anyone?
      (The maps show a Balindoch just over the Ruthven border in Alyth, but
      that name doesn't quite fit.)
      Thank you,
      Gina
    • Ken Anton
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 24, 2006
        Hello Gina,

        There are many places in Perthshire which might fit the description; it is
        probably the name of a farm settlement, or hamlet.

        The following link will show a detailed map of the area, and you can scroll
        about to see if anything matches:

        http://uk.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&X=330000&Y=747500&width=
        700&height=400&gride=328518.275317689&gridn=748704.068606444&srec=0&coordsys
        =gb&db=freegaz&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&advanced=&local=&localinfosel=&kw=&i
        nmap=&table=&ovtype=&keepicon=true&zm=0&scale=50000&multimap.x=279&multimap.
        y=180

        But, when I did my initial genealogical research about 15 years ago, I
        discovered that some of my ancestors migrated to this part of Perthshire
        from the area just slightly south, in the Carse of Gowrie. In the Carse,
        there's a hamlet called Baledgarno, which is pronounced "Bal-egger-nie" by
        the locals. An old aunt of mine, now deceased, told me a lot about it. As
        most people could not read or write, and that it would not be known to the
        census enumerator, the phonetic spelling might have been used on the census
        record.

        Baledgarno lies on the road from Inchture to Abernyte, here:

        http://uk.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&X=327000&Y=729000&width=
        700&height=400&gride=324494.545878184&gridn=728911.964965699&srec=0&coordsys
        =gb&db=freegaz&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&advanced=&local=&localinfosel=&kw=&i
        nmap=&table=&ovtype=&keepicon=true&zm=0&scale=25000&up.x=287&up.y=7

        The settlement is named after Edgar, King of Scotland in the early 1100s.
        The name means "new town of Edgar", and Edgar built a castle there on the
        hill north from Inchture and the hamlet there still bears the name. Boece
        states that "the Castle was foundit by Edgar, wha gat certane lands fra the
        Erle of Gowry, and annexit his name to the Castle". He further stated that
        it was Alexander I, Edgar's brother and successor, who repaired it. It was
        a favourite abode of Royalty. Edgar was residing there in the tenth year of
        his reign when he fell sick and was carried into Dundee to die there.

        Today, Baledgano is no more than a row of neat 18th or 19th century cottages
        on the road.

        In my book, I wrote:

        "Heading north from Inchture, one passes by a long straight stretch of road
        to the north-west gate of Rossie Priory. At these gates can be found the
        hamlet of Baledgarno, named after King Edgar, mentioned earlier. The road
        continues up to Kinnaird or westwards to Ballindean, this being the old
        Carse road before the present turnpike.
        Apparently there were a number of old dilapidated houses on the Ballindean
        road, bearing the name 'Baledgarno'. Lord Kinnaird, being an early advocate
        of the 'model village', demolished them and built a fine new row of red
        sandstone houses at the base of Castle Hill around 1700. This new row now
        bears the name 'Baledgarno'."

        So, perhaps this is the place, or perhaps it's not

        Hope this helps.

        Best regards

        Ken

[...]

        Please remember to bookmark our Home Page. Those with Yahoo IDs will be able
        to view our Archives of Messages,Files, and Bookmarks. Go to:

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • gzmcwherter
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 24, 2006
          Ken,
          Thank you for your suggestion and all of the information. Will go off
          and look at old maps again and do some more research.
          Regards,
          Gina