Claverhouse ponds

  • kellybpgg
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 15, 2006
      Hi everyone I was hopeing that someone could help me out in my
      research of the ponds.As you are leaving Kirkton and comeing through
      the mains there is a old pond,this is just to your left if you were
      driving past.Its move towards Kirkton that fintry not as far along as
      the mains of claverhouse pub.I was wonding if there was any history to
      these ponds,famous Scots or deaths.Fingers crossed someone can help
      from kelly
    • Michael Bolik
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 15, 2006
        I think these are connected to the old bleachfield. Probably best to get
        hold of Enid Gauldie's work on Dundee bleachfields - I'm sure she
        mentions Claverhouse.
        Michael

        Michael Bolik
        Assistant Archivist
        Archive Services
        University of Dundee
        Dundee DD1 4HN
        tel. +44 (0)1382 384095
        fax. +44 (0)1382 385523
        www.dundee.ac.uk/archives
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 15, 2006
          At 05:09 AM 3/16/2006, you wrote:
          >I think these are connected to the old bleachfield. Probably best to get
          >hold of Enid Gauldie's work on Dundee bleachfields -

          You are probably right, Michael.

          My own recollections of these ponds, from childhood days in the 1930s are
          hardly the stuff of History as yet, but none the less I am popping some PCs
          of both the Den of Mains and Stobswell ponds into our Group Files ASAP.
          They were both great minnow fishing ponds in my day, and natural safe
          skating rinks at the right time of the year!! There was a very active and
          dedicated yacht sailing club at the lower Stobbie Pond. Both pondswere
          drained during WW II to stop any reflections from the water at night. The
          Dichty Burn of course ran through the Mains ponds.

          Jimmie R
        • Countryside Rangers
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 16, 2006
            Hi Kelly,
            Not certain from your decription, but it could be the ponds you are referring
            to are the same ones which form part of Trottick Ponds Local Nature Reserve.

            If these are the ponds you are interested in, you could try contacting John
            Whyman on this email address, as he is the Countryside Ranger responsible for
            this area.

            Hope this helps.

            Regards
            Dave Ferguson
            (Countryside Ranger)

            ---------------------------
            This email and any files transmitted with it is confidential and
            intended solely
            for the person or organisation to whom it is addressed. If you are
            not the
            intended recipient, you must not read, copy or disseminate the
            information
            or take any action in reliance on it and it would be appreciated if
            you would
            also notify the sender by reply email and then delete this email
            immediately.
            All messages passing out of this gateway are checked for viruses but
            Dundee City Council strongly recommends that you check for viruses
            using
            your own virus scanner as the Council will not take responsibility for
            any
            damage caused as a result of virus infection.
            ---------------------------
          • kelly ooooo
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 16, 2006
              Thanks Dave I have sent an email off to John Whyman,thanks for your time in reading my queary.from Kelly

              Countryside Rangers <Countryside.rangers@...> wrote: Hi Kelly,
[...]

              United kingdom calling card Calling united kingdom United kingdom flower delivery Call united kingdom United kingdom phone card Flower united kingdom

              ---------------------------------

              From Kelly

            • Dave Perks
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 17, 2006
                As a boy I and my friends used to swim in the claverhouse ponds. There were several ponds there and they were the property of the bleach fieds.
                I think these are connected to the old bleachfield. Probably best to get
                hold of Enid Gauldie's work on Dundee bleachfields - I'm sure she
                mentions Claverhouse.
                Michael

                Michael Bolik
                Assistant Archivist
                Archive Services
                University of Dundee
                Dundee DD1 4HN
                tel. +44 (0)1382 384095
                fax. +44 (0)1382 385523
                www.dundee.ac.uk/archives

                Please remember to bookmark our Home Page. Those with Yahoo IDs will be able to view our Archives of Messages,Files, and Bookmarks. Go to: