Re: Orante pillar

  • banjo046
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 15, 2006
      It is an air shaft. There is another in the old howf at the corner
      of Constitution Rd and Dudhope Crescent. Across the street from St
      Mary Magdalines Church. It was the Arch that was built to comemorate
      the visit of Queen Victoria. The visit was also called the Wet
      Review --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, Davina Knowles
      <knowlesdavina@...> wrote:

      > rosslyntemplaruk <rosslyntemplar@...> wrote: Hi All
      >
      > Can anyone tell me what the large ornate pillar that stands next
      > the railway tunnel near the bend in the road near the top of east
      dock
      > street represents
      > The pillar is aprox 30 feet in height and looks like it is made of
      > cast or wrought iron, it has a crown design on top and looks very
      old
      > and is in bad condition.
      >
      > Any help would be most welcome
      >
      > My husband tells me it was erected at the
      > same time as the royal arch to commemerate Queen Victorias visit
      to Dundee?
      > Ina.
      >

      > Please remember to bookmark our Home Page. Those with Yahoo IDs
      will be able to view our Archives of Messages,Files, and Bookmarks.
      Go to:

      > United kingdom calling card Calling united kingdom
      United kingdom flower delivery Call united kingdom United
      kingdom florist United kingdom phone card

      Service.