Petition to Tessa Jowell in support of our National Archives

  • fionnghalnicphadraig
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 14, 2005
      Hi folks, this is important to us, our heritage, and our all-consuming
      interst in family and national history¬Ö please read on :-)

      Due to the overwhelming response to the National Council on
      Archives' online petition, the collection date has been extended until

      31st January 2006

      to allow even more people to sign and for even more archives to get
      involved. Many thanks to all those people who have already signed, and
      organised, paper copies of the petition.

      The petition can be found at

      http://www.ncaonline.org.uk/announcements/save_the_countrys_memory

      The National Council on Archives will continue to lobby government and
      funding bodies to convince them that putting archives higher up the
      agenda is worthwhile. Chronic under-funding of archives means that
      some UK collections remain un-catalogued, housed in unsuitable
      conditions or unused. In the worst cases important archives are sold
      to overseas buyers.

      By signing this petition you will be helping to protect the nation's
      heritage and showing your support for archives. The petition will be
      sent to Tessa Jowell, Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport.

      If you would like to put a paper copy of the petition in your archive,
      please feel free to download materials and posters from

      http://www.ncaonline.org.uk/publications/reports

      and return them to NCA by 31st January 2006.
      Thank you for all your help.

      Ruth Savage
      Policy & Development Officer
      National Council on Archives
      Tel: 020 8392 5376
      Fax: 020 8487 1987
      ruth.savage@...
      www.ncaonline.org.uk
      www.archiveawareness.com

      This post is jointly supported by The National Archives,
      The Museums, Libraries & Archives Council and
      The National Council on Archives