37 Victoria Road

  • Ev
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 2, 2005
      37 Victoria Road
      was wondering if anyone knew the type of business at 37 Victoria Rd
      1850-1890's
      thank you
      Evelyn
    • ken.anton@tesco.net
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 2, 2005
        Hi,

        Don't know what the business was, but I guess the address was on the righthand side going up, past where the Wellgate steps were.

        Have a look at these photos:
        http://www.dundeecity.gov.uk/photodb/wc0670.htm
        http://www.dundeecity.gov.uk/photodb/wc0667.htm

        In the first one, the shop behind the two women with white aprons is number 15, so I think 37 will be further up than the Wellgate.

        Now look at the the second one.

        The street running from bottom right to top left of the photo is Victoria Road; the street going away to the right is the Wellgate.

        I think no. 37 would be on the right in the middle distance, but I can't see exactly where.

        All these buildings were demolished in the late 1960s.

        Hope this helps

        Best regards

        Ken

        From: "Ev" <evilla2@...>
        Date: 2005/12/02 Fri PM 10:26:19 GMT
        To: dundee-history@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [dundee-history] 37 Victoria Road

        37 Victoria Road
        was wondering if anyone knew the type of business at 37 Victoria Rd
        1850-1890's
        thank you
        Evelyn

        Please remember to bookmark our Home Page. Those with Yahoo IDs will be able to view our Archives of Messages,Files, and Bookmarks. Go to:

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Dave Perks
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 3, 2005
          If my memory serves me right 37 Victoria Rd was the entrance to a tenement
          which also went on throught to a tenement in Charles Street.
          Some of the businesses going up from the wellgate to Idvies Brae were. A
          greengrocer, a bicycle shop, a baby linen shop , a confectioner shop.A
          butcher shop and a cheneral goods shop. If you have any idea of the names of
          any one in the area , I might be able to help you. At least with the names
          of forty years ago.
          Cheers Dave

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 3, 2005
            Evelyn,

            According to my 1898-99 directory, 37 Victoria Road was a Fruit Merchant
            named William E Dryden.

            John

            At 20:44 03/12/2005, you wrote:
            >37 Victoria Road
            >was wondering if anyone knew the type of business at 37 Victoria Rd
            >1850-1890's
            >thank you
            >Evelyn

          • Sylvia H Rowe
              > was wondering if anyone knew the type of business at 37 Victoria Rd
              > 1850-1890's
              > thank you
              > Evelyn
              >

              > Please remember to bookmark our Home Page. Those with Yahoo IDs will be
              > able to view our Archives of Messages,Files, and Bookmarks. Go to:

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              It has removed 241 spam emails to date.
              Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

              Please remember to bookmark our Home Page. Those with Yahoo IDs will be able to view our Archives of Messages,Files, and Bookmarks. Go to:

            • Grant E. L. Buttars
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 4, 2005
                Interstingly, W. E. Dryden was at No.23 by 1967. Whether this is an
                indication that they had moved premises or that the there had been
                some renumbering is unclear.

                I think the last Dryden to operate this business is still living
                in/around Dundee.

                Of course there was no Victoria Road in the 1850s. It was only the
                widening of Bucklemaker Wynd as part of the 1870s Improvements that
                created this road.

                Regards,

                Grant Buttars

                --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, John G Duffus
                <jackieduffus@b...> wrote:

                > Evelyn,
                >
                > According to my 1898-99 directory, 37 Victoria Road was a Fruit
                Merchant
                > named William E Dryden.
                >
                > John
                >
                > At 20:44 03/12/2005, you wrote:
                > >37 Victoria Road
                > >was wondering if anyone knew the type of business at 37 Victoria
                Rd
                > >1850-1890's
                > >thank you
                > >Evelyn

              • Anne Ide
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 5, 2005
                  Try under "Athelstaneford"! You'll get plenty of hits!

                  Sylvia H Rowe <syjoro@...> wrote: Hi All, Everlyn so glad John and Dave could help you with your query..
                  I know this isn't in Dundee but can anyone help me with a place called Athelstonford in Edinburgh..think it is a parish there..a Pic of the place or webpage which might help he find more on it.. I would be very grateful as I can't find a thing on it, on the net. Best wishes to all for Christmas and New Year. Bye from Sylvia in Aussieland.
                  > was wondering if anyone knew the type of business at 37 Victoria Rd
                  > 1850-1890's
                  > thank you
                  > Evelyn
                  >

                  > Please remember to bookmark our Home Page. Those with Yahoo IDs will be
                  > able to view our Archives of Messages,Files, and Bookmarks. Go to:

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  It has removed 241 spam emails to date.
                  Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

                  Please remember to bookmark our Home Page. Those with Yahoo IDs will be able to view our Archives of Messages,Files, and Bookmarks. Go to:

                  Please remember to bookmark our Home Page. Those with Yahoo IDs will be able to view our Archives of Messages,Files, and Bookmarks. Go to:

                  ---------------------------------

                • Sylvia H Rowe
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 5, 2005
                    Thank you I will..I really appreciate the help. Thank you.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 27, 2006
                      Family names in the victoria Road area were Carnegie and Russell.
                      ev
                      --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "Sylvia H Rowe" <syjoro@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Thank you I will..I really appreciate the help. Thank you.

                      Terms of Service.

                      Date: 25/11/05

                      > Please remember to bookmark our Home Page. Those with Yahoo IDs
                      will be able to view our Archives of Messages,Files, and Bookmarks.
                      Go to:

                      Service.

                      > Please remember to bookmark our Home Page. Those with Yahoo IDs
                      will be able to view our Archives of Messages,Files, and Bookmarks.
                      Go to:

                      of Service.

                      25/11/05