Hoping against hope for help

  • jonnynojob
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 16, 2005
      Hi i have been looking for so long to try and find a picture of my grandad
      who was killed in WW2. Now this may seam just a simple thing to many but
      if i can relate the story maybe someone can help.
      We moved from dundee to Australia in 1964 with mum dad (lowden) and 4 kids
      1 baby on the way and 1 yet to happen,We learned as time went on that our
      Dad,had never seen his father ,EVER as he was killed in action when dad
      was only a few month old.My grandmother then destryed all and every photo
      that existed of him.Why? No one knows ,she used to say because she was so
      upset with him joining the army,but anyway the fact is we never were left
      a photo. On my sisters trip to dundee 10 year ago she hit gold in(she
      thinks it was the library) In an old book she found army photos of people
      that were killed in the war from dundee.
      She had the lady at the library copy the picture on the photo copier,and
      made a few copies. However on her return to Australia she was horrified to
      find that the 1 suitcase with the pictures never arrived and still to this
      day have not arrived.It was marked as lost in transit. Now as time has
      gone on and no one has ever gone back for a holiday to dundee,i find the
      internet which i found a roll honour of the ww2 heroes and found his name
      in it. What i am hoping (against hope ) is that someone can help me to
      find this picture. My dad is not keeping in good heath now and just
      recently had cancer opoeration to remove it (unsecsesfully).What i was
      hoping is if i could find his Dad before his time comes,so that he can at
      least have one of his life dreams realised by seeing what his dad looked
      like. The soldier in question is*** Private John Lowden and below is the
      only known thing on this man that we have evr been able to find.
      The annoying thing is that we know somewhere out there is a picture of
      this man but we just dont have the knowlege or means to get our hands on
      it.Can any one please please help,this is my last hope to find this before
      it is too late........Thanks for taking the time to read this.
      http://www.dundeecity.gov.uk/roh/927.htm
      Name: John Lowden
      Age: 25
      Address: 22 Arthur Street
      Next of Kin: unknown
      Rank: Private
      Number: 7344734
      Served With: 152 Field Amb, Royal Army Medical Corps
      Force: Army
      Date of Death: 05/06/1940
      Place of Death: in France & Belgium
      Historical Information: unknown
      Cemetery/Memorial: Dunkirk Town Cemetery, Nord, France
      Memorial Ref: Column 143.
      Location Details: unspecified
      Information Source: People's Journal 11/07/1942
    • fionnghalnicphadraig
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 17, 2005
        hi, did you manage to get any help with your search for your grandad's
        photo? i don't live in Dunee, but if you haven't managed to find the
        picture, i may know someone in Dundee who may just be able to help. i
        can't make any promises obviously. he's a busy man, but a good local
        historian. i can only ask.

        also, have you tried hte following resources?

        Archive & Record Centre
        Support Services
        21 City Square
        DUNDEE. DD1 3BY
        Tel. 01382 434494
        fax. 01382 434666
        archives@...

        Library services:
        Reception, Central Library, The Wellgate, Dundee DD1 1DB.
        Telephone 01382 431500 or Fax 01382 431558
        e-mail: central.library@...

        Art Galleries and Museums Association, Dundee
        C/o 16 Swallow Apartments, Monifieth DD5 4NG, Tel: 535021
        Secretary: Mrs Olive Thain, 16 Swallow Apartments, Monifieth, Dundee
        DD5 4NG;

        i wish you all hte best in your research .. and hope your dad is
        keeping better

        le durachd
        fionnghal

        > http://www.dundeecity.gov.uk/roh/927.htm
        > Name: John Lowden
        > Age: 25
        > Address: 22 Arthur Street
        > Next of Kin: unknown
        > Rank: Private
        > Number: 7344734
        > Served With: 152 Field Amb, Royal Army Medical Corps
        > Force: Army
        > Date of Death: 05/06/1940
        > Place of Death: in France & Belgium
        > Historical Information: unknown
        > Cemetery/Memorial: Dunkirk Town Cemetery, Nord, France
        > Memorial Ref: Column 143.
        > Location Details: unspecified
        > Information Source: People's Journal 11/07/1942
      • mark drummond
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 17, 2005
          hi,
          if you are able to find out the name of the book the
          picture was in, ill go down tot he libary and get the
          photos for you;)

          regards

          mark drummond

        • John Lowden
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 17, 2005
            Hi le durachd fionnghal
            Thanks for your kind letter and thoughts,dad is ok he has good then bad days,and to tell the truth he is really struggling to stay.
            I have had a go at a few of the sites you sent me but i am not very compitent with this computer sytem. I am really only learing how it all works and i get frustrated when i think i have worked it out,only to draw a blank hahaha
            I really appreciate your offer that you know someone who may be able to help me. I also know you can only ask as i could only imagine how busy he would be if (sorry he or she) he is chasing things like this up. As i said at the start it is hoping against hope ,i would just like to let Dad see his Dad as soemthing he has always wanted to do but never got the chance and i refuse to believe that someone can live without not a picture of them anywhere.
            I thank you for at least making the offer and as this is my last sort of hope to try and find this picture oi can only hope that your friend can find some time to try and help me.
            I cant thank you enough for at least trying for me and all i can offer you is my blessings and the knowlege that you are a kind person.
            Thanks for taking the time to reply and to even read my request...

            regards John Lowden ,junior,junior.