Re: [dundee-history] Re: Clepington Estate

  • c c
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 9, 2005
      Thanks again!

      "Grant E. L. Buttars" <GButtars@...> wrote:
      Just got the following from Barbara Neish (thanks Barbara):

      In 1856 - William Neish made the very fortunate purchase of the
      Clepington estate, near Dundee., from Mr. R.H. Arkley, and although
      some people shook their heads at the boldness in his doing so it
      soon proved a lucrative investment, the extensive feuing which he
      judiciously fostered having yielded him an excellent return. In 1871
      he also purchased the fine estate of Tannadice, the Mansion House of
      which he subsequently occupied.

      William Neish bought the estate from the Arkley family, hence Arklay
      (sic) Street. The street is named for David Arkley who died in 1822.
      He was succeeded by his son Peter, of Dunninald ( near Montrose).
      Peter's second son Robert sold it to William Neish.

      This was a large tract of ground which lay east of the present
      Provost Road, Dundee, the old road to Glamis. Provost Road formed
      the boundary between Easter and Wester Clepington. The present
      Clepington Road was the rear access to Easter and Wester Clepington.

      --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, c c <fromclive@y...> wrote:
      > Hi
      > Thanks for this... it's helpful!!
      > Clive
      >

      > "Grant E. L. Buttars" <GButtars@t...> wrote:
      > Clive,
      >
      > Clepington (at least Easter Clepington) was owned for a time by
      the
      > Neish family. I would this as being from at least mid 19th
      century
      > onwards. It may have been acquired from the Arklay family (hence
      > Arklay Street) but I'm not entirely sure. The estate was
      eventually
      > feued off and/or acquired by the city. Perhaps Dundee City Council
      > are now a Trustee.
      >
      > The Neish papers in Dundee City Archives have quite a lot of
      > detail. One interesting letter describes what is now Tannadice
      Park
      > (which had just been sold to Dundee Hibernian) as being unsuitable
      > for a football pitch, unlike the ground nearby which had also been
      > sold to a football club. I draw no conclusions!
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Grant Buttars
      > --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, c c <fromclive@y...> wrote:
      > > Hi
      > > Anyone out there know anything about the Clepington Estate? I
      > belong to an organisation that lists the owner of it as a trustee
      in
      > our ancient constitution!!!
      > > Clive

      > Please remember to bookmark our Home Page. Those with Yahoo IDs
      will be able to view our Archives of Messages,Files, and Bookmarks.
      Go to:

      Service.