Old Mill O Mains

  • kellybpgg
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 24, 2005
      Hello everyone firstly I would like to thank you for allowing me to
      join your group,I am now living in Mill O Mains and I would like to
      find out more about it from the early years.I have looked at the
      internet endless times but I cant find a thing could anyone please
      help thank you from Kelly
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 24, 2005
        At 02:12 AM 25/07/2005,Kelly wrote:

        >I am now living in Mill O Mains and I would like to
        >find out more about it from the early years

        Kelly,

        A good book on the early history of"Angus & the Mearns" byRichard Oram,
        ISBN 1 874744 47 5, pub'd Birlinn 1996, gives some interest info info
        on Mains Castle, but I fear makes no reference to the Mill. You will know
        that the Castle has been partially restored in recent years, maybe the
        Central Library in Dundee could help you, from papers which came to light
        during the restoration work.

        Jim Robertson
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 24, 2005
          At 02:12 AM 25/07/2005, Kelly wrote:
          >,I am now living in Mill O Mains and I would like to
          >find out more about it from the early years.

          Kelly,
          Another chip of info - this time from the book by David Durward - Dundee -
          Names People & Places ISBN 1 873644 79 5, pub Mercat Press - 1998 - pp
          98/98 - this does make some early refs to the Mill, apparently just to the
          east of the Castle, dating from 1425 or so. You should be able to find this
          book easily in the Library.

          Jim Robertson, Qld., Oz.
        • Countryside Rangers
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 25, 2005
            Hi Kelly,
            Welcome to the group.
            John Whyman, one of the Countryside Rangers in Dundee, is the contact Ranger
            for Trottick Ponds Local Nature Reserve.
            As part of this, John has accumulated some material, especially about the ponds
            and the mills.
            If this is of interest, you can contact John on countryside.rangers@dundeecity.
            gov.uk

            Regards
            Dave Ferguson
            (Countryside Ranger)

            kellybpgg (24/07/2005 16:12):

            ><tt>
            >Hello everyone firstly I would like to thank you for allowing me to <BR>
            >join your group,I am now living in Mill O Mains and I would like to <BR>
            >find out more about it from the early years.I have looked at the <BR>
            >internet endless times but I cant find a thing could anyone please <BR>
            >help thank you from Kelly<BR>
            ><BR>
            ><BR>
            ></tt>
            >

            ><!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->

            ><tt>
            >Please remember to bookmark our Home Page. Those with Yahoo IDs will be able
            to view our Archives of Messages,Files, and Bookmarks. Go to:<BR>
            ><BR>
            com/group/dundee-history</a><BR>

            to:<br> <a href="mailto:dundee-history-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.
            href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/">Yahoo! Terms of Service</a>.</tt>
            ></ul>
            > <hr style="border-bottom:1px; width:500px; text-align:left;">
            >
            ><!-- |**|end egp html banner|**| -->

            ---------------------------
            This email and any files transmitted with it is confidential and
            intended solely
            for the person or organisation to whom it is addressed. If you are
            not the
            intended recipient, you must not read, copy or disseminate the
            information
            or take any action in reliance on it and it would be appreciated if
            you would
            also notify the sender by reply email and then delete this email
            immediately.
            All messages passing out of this gateway are checked for viruses but
            Dundee City Council strongly recommends that you check for viruses
            using
            your own virus scanner as the Council will not take responsibility for
            any
            damage caused as a result of virus infection.
            ---------------------------
          • kelly ooooo
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 25, 2005
              Hello Again just thought I would say thank you to everyone who has helped greatly into my search of the old Mill O mains

            • Grant E. L. Buttars
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 25, 2005
                The 1841 census shows 'Mill of Mains' as a farm, farmed by James
                Fenton. Adjacent to it was 'Little Mill', which seems to have been
                populated by beachers who were most likely employed at Claverhouse
                bleachfield. Beyond that was 'Barns of Claverhouse' farm which was
                farmed by the Bell family. East of 'Mill of Mains' was 'East
                Mains', farmed by William Cobb.

                If you want to follow the change in this area, I would suggest
                starting with the annual valuation rolls, available in Local Studies
                in the Central Library.

                From recollection, 'Barns of Claverhouse' was leased by the Bell
                family from the Earls of Home (Douglas-Home). Many of their family
                papers, including estate records, are in the National Archives of
                Scotland ( http://www.nas.gov.uk/ ). These would probably also
                contain records relating to the town council acquiring the land to
                build housing sometime after WW2. You should also check with Dundee
                City Archives ( http://www.dundeecity.gov.uk/archives/ ).

                Regards,

                Grant Buttars

                --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, kelly ooooo <kellybpgg@y...>

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 26, 2005
                  Thanks Grant im off to have a look at the link you sent me thanks once again from kelly

                  "Grant E. L. Buttars" <GButtars@...> wrote:The 1841 census shows 'Mill of Mains' as a farm, farmed by James
                  Fenton. Adjacent to it was 'Little Mill', which seems to have been
                  populated by beachers who were most likely employed at Claverhouse
                  bleachfield. Beyond that was 'Barns of Claverhouse' farm which was
                  farmed by the Bell family. East of 'Mill of Mains' was 'East
                  Mains', farmed by William Cobb.

                  If you want to follow the change in this area, I would suggest
                  starting with the annual valuation rolls, available in Local Studies
                  in the Central Library.

                  From recollection, 'Barns of Claverhouse' was leased by the Bell

                  wrote:
                  > Hello Again just thought I would say thank you to everyone who has
                  helped greatly into my search of the old Mill O mains

                  Please remember to bookmark our Home Page. Those with Yahoo IDs will be able to view our Archives of Messages,Files, and Bookmarks. Go to:

                  Calling united kingdom Flower united kingdom United kingdom phone card Call united kingdom United kingdom calling card United kingdom