Broughty Ferry Local Nature Reserve

  • caley1232003
    Message 1 of 2 , May 12, 2005
      As a Countryside Ranger with the City Council I am the lead contact
      for this site, previously known as Lovers Lane or Sheill Street Nature
      Area, and would like to know more about the local history of the site.

      The Reserve lies sandwiched between the railway lines behind what is
      now Jacques Nite-Club, but was previously known as the Chalet.

      If you have any information on the area - who previously owned it,
      wildlife you remember seeing there (preferably not from the nite-
      Club!), did you have picnics here?,were you a 'sandy-holer'?,do you
      have any photos, or anything at all - I'd love to hear from you.

      Regards
      Dave Ferguson
      (Countryside Ranger Service)
    • Grant E. L. Buttars
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 25, 2005
        Dave,

        My knowledge of the western end of Broughty Ferry is better but I
        think I'm right in saying that the land in question would have been
        originally part of the property of the Earls of Panmure. The Monifieth
        section of the valuation rolls (available in Local Studies, Wellgate
        Library) would allow you to pinpoint this.

        Sheill Street is almost certainly named after John Sheill of
        solicitors Sheill & Small, who I think owned property nearby.

        Regards,

        Grant Buttars

        --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "caley1232003"