Re: [dundee-history] Lord Roberts Memorial Workshop

  • Clay Hackett
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2005
      Hi Jim,
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Sleigh_Roberts%2C_1st_Earl_Roberts as a point of interest Lord Robert's son also won the Victoria Cross.

      Clay.

      Jim Campbell <jaynjay_2000@...> wrote:
      Not far from your dad's Dental Practice, Grant, right on that bend in
      the Road (?victoria?) there used to be a shopfront called the Lord
      Roberts Memorial Workshop. I think that they employed disabled ex-
      servicemen.
      Who was Lord Roberts? What became of the enterprise?
      Jim Campbell

      Please remember to bookmark our Home Page. Those with Yahoo IDs will be able to view our Archives of Messages,Files, and Bookmarks. Go to:

    • Jim Campbell
      Message 2 of 7 , May 4, 2005
        Many thanks to all of you. It has interested me for a long time as I
        remember waiting for the bus at the top of the wellgate and seeing
        the people working away inside.
        Grant, sorry I got that wrong! Were you in fact related to the
        Robertson's (W.P. Robertson, the hackney carriage and later,
        chauffeur-driven car hire business) or was that a different scion?
        regards, Jim Campbell, Western Australia.

        --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "alistair9623"
        <alistair.macdonald@b...> wrote:
        > --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Campbell"
        > <jaynjay_2000@y...> wrote:
        > > Not far from your dad's Dental Practice, Grant, right on that
        bend
        > in
        > > the Road (?victoria?) there used to be a shopfront called the
        Lord
        > > Roberts Memorial Workshop. I think that they employed disabled
        ex-
        > > servicemen.
        > > Who was Lord Roberts? What became of the enterprise?
        > > Jim Campbell
        >
        > Hello Jim,
        > Someone decided that I wasn't a member of the group and refused to
        > deliver my first message, Soooo.... a repeat
        > I remember it well. Just round the corner from my first employer
        in
        > 2 India Buildings in Bell Street. Not very interesting I know but
        > point perhaps of more interest. D Y S Buttars was my dentist whom
        > thought was Grant's great uncle.
        > DYS, I understand played football with my father in the Dundee
        Hibs
        > team around 1910.
        > Again, not of great interest, except to me!
        > Alistair
      • Grant E. L. Buttars
        Message 3 of 7 , May 5, 2005
          <jaynjay_2000@y...> wrote:
          > Grant, sorry I got that wrong! Were you in fact related to the
          > Robertson's (W.P. Robertson, the hackney carriage and later,
          > chauffeur-driven car hire business) or was that a different scion?

          Hello Jim,

          Yes, Willam P. Robertson was the first husband of my grandfather's
          cousin, Georgina Galloway Butters. She subsequently married Frederick
          Wilkie Grant, proprietor of the Downfield Hotel. Interestingly, would
          anyone know offhand when/why the Downfield Hotel became known as 'Doc
          Stewarts'?

          Grant