Re: Clement Park

  • Doon The Toon
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 9, 2005
      Hi Phil. You said:

      >Cheers for the info Grant, was the building a maternity hospital ??

      It was a nursing home - don't know if it was exclusively a maternity
      facility. My mum had my younger brother there as she was physically
      fragile and I suppose more intesive care was available there than in
      Maryfield or DRI.

      Doon 8=)

      * For Dundonians +++ www.DoonTheToon.ukf.net +++ everywhere!*
      _
      ( ) ASCII ribbon campaign
      X against HTML e-mail
      / \

    • Grant E. L. Buttars
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 9, 2005
        --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "rosslyntemplaruk"
        <rosslyntemplar@h...> wrote:

        > On the Drawn Evidence site they dont appear to have a drawing, they
        > have an extensive collection of Cox personal papers whai i hope to
        > have a look at next week.

        The project didn't have time to digitise every single architectural
        drawing. Just because it's not on Drawn Evidence doesn't mean there
        is nothing in the Archives.

        The other likely location would be Dundee City Archives.

        Grant
      • rosslyntemplaruk
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 10, 2005
          --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "Grant E. L. Buttars"
          <GButtars@t...> wrote:

          > --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "rosslyntemplaruk"
          > <rosslyntemplar@h...> wrote:
          > >
          > > On the Drawn Evidence site they dont appear to have a drawing,
          they
          > > have an extensive collection of Cox personal papers whai i hope
          > > have a look at next week.
          >
          > The project didn't have time to digitise every single
          architectural
          > drawing. Just because it's not on Drawn Evidence doesn't mean
          there
          > is nothing in the Archives.
          >
          > The other likely location would be Dundee City Archives.
          >
          > Grant.

          ????? Why would they not have time?? if you bother to read Drawn
          evidence introduction page it`s ongoing so they could digitise at
          leisure. It`s better than that RCAHMS site full of listings but no
          photos or information to back it up.

          Phil
        • Grant E. L. Buttars
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 10, 2005
            > ????? Why would they not have time?? if you bother to read Drawn
            > evidence introduction page it`s ongoing so they could digitise at
            > leisure. It`s better than that RCAHMS site full of listings but no
            > photos or information to back it up.

            Sorry to dissapoint you but it was a ring-fenced, externally funded
            project. The funding cane from the Research Support Libraries
            Programme (RSLP) and lasted for a few years only, finishing in
            2002. While Dundee Uni Archives may still be adding to the site
            Michael, if you're reading this perhaps you could clarify), I don't
            imagine it is likely to grow by any great amount.

            Digitising cannot be done 'at leisure' It is a very skilled and
            time consuming thing to do, especially when dealing with things the
            size of architectural drawings. Setting them up for copying -
            holding them flat, adjusting lighting levels, etc. all take a lot of
            time. They then need to be fully catalogued, including all the
            necessary technical metadata about the digitisation process for each
            item (colour balance, camera type, image size etc. etc.).

            I've known photographers to take the best part of a day on a single
            image. Architectural drawings don't lend themselves to mass batch
            processing so each one usually has to be set up individually. At
            Edinburgh Uni we have two photographers who are digitising material
            every day (and have been for a number of years) but I wouldn't even
            try to guess how small a percentage of our total holdings this
            actually represents. It's a misconception to think that it is an
            easy process for archives to just digitise everything. The costs in
            terms of staff time, equipment and data storage are immense.

            Regards,

            Grant
          • rosslyntemplaruk
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 12, 2005
              <GButtars@t...> wrote:

              > > ????? Why would they not have time?? if you bother to read Drawn
              > > evidence introduction page it`s ongoing so they could digitise
              at
              > > leisure. It`s better than that RCAHMS site full of listings but
              no
              > > photos or information to back it up.
              >
              > Sorry to dissapoint you but it was a ring-fenced, externally
              funded
              > project. The funding cane from the Research Support Libraries
              > Programme (RSLP) and lasted for a few years only, finishing in
              > 2002. While Dundee Uni Archives may still be adding to the site
              > Michael, if you're reading this perhaps you could clarify), I
              don't
              > imagine it is likely to grow by any great amount.
              >
              > Digitising cannot be done 'at leisure' It is a very skilled and
              > time consuming thing to do, especially when dealing with things
              the
              > size of architectural drawings. Setting them up for copying -
              > holding them flat, adjusting lighting levels, etc. all take a lot
              of
              > time. They then need to be fully catalogued, including all the
              > necessary technical metadata about the digitisation process for
              each
              > item (colour balance, camera type, image size etc. etc.).
              >
              > I've known photographers to take the best part of a day on a
              single
              > image. Architectural drawings don't lend themselves to mass batch
              > processing so each one usually has to be set up individually. At
              > Edinburgh Uni we have two photographers who are digitising
              material
              > every day (and have been for a number of years) but I wouldn't
              even
              > try to guess how small a percentage of our total holdings this
              > actually represents. It's a misconception to think that it is an
              > easy process for archives to just digitise everything. The costs
              in
              > terms of staff time, equipment and data storage are immense.
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > Grant

              Fair enough, but why not upload the photos they claim to have? for
              example put in a search for Carbet Castle it lists the building but
              of the 60 photos they have one is uploaded.

              Phil.
            • gray1720
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 12, 2005
                > Fair enough, but why not upload the photos they claim to have? for
                > example put in a search for Carbet Castle it lists the building but
                > of the 60 photos they have one is uploaded.
                >
                > Phil.

                Is that an interest in Carbet Castle, or just an example, Phil? I'd
                certainly like to see 60 photos of the place., and if you are looking
                for pics I have one or two lurking somewhere - nothing special, but a
                nice on of the glasshouses.

                Adrian
              • rosslyntemplaruk
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 12, 2005
                  --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "gray1720" <adrian.gray@p...>
                  wrote:

                  > > Fair enough, but why not upload the photos they claim to have?
                  for
                  > > example put in a search for Carbet Castle it lists the building
                  but
                  > > of the 60 photos they have one is uploaded.
                  > >
                  > > Phil.
                  >
                  > Is that an interest in Carbet Castle, or just an example, Phil?
                  I'd
                  > certainly like to see 60 photos of the place., and if you are
                  looking
                  > for pics I have one or two lurking somewhere - nothing special,
                  but a
                  > nice on of the glasshouses.
                  >
                  > Adrian

                  Its an interest, I too would love to see all the 60 pics but hey,
                  would like to see the ones you have can you upload them onto the
                  site.

                  Cheers Phil.