The Old Odeon

  • ken.anton@tesco.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 11 4:47 AM
      Hello,

      Does anyone remember the old Odeon cinema in Strathmartine Road, right next to the Coldside Library (where KwikSave is now)?

      When it closed down, one of the cinemas in the city centre was renamed "Odeon" - was this the Gaumont or the ABC (it was a long time ago!)

      Does anyone have a photograph of it? If you do, Gordon would like to add it to his collection at:
      http://www.chem.gla.ac.uk/~gbarr/cinemas/scotland/dundee/index.html

      Best regards

      Ken
    • Michael Bolik
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 11 4:59 AM
        I remember it - my uncle and auntie lived on Marryat Terrace so as a kid
        during the 1960s I used to go to Saturday matinees at the Odeon. I
        think the Gaumont became the Odeon.

        Michael

        Michael Bolik
        Assistant Archivist
        Archive Services
        University of Dundee
        Dundee DD1 4HN
        tel. +44 (0)1382 344095
        fax. +44 (0)1382 345523
        www.dundee.ac.uk/archives
      • dave perks
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 11 6:15 AM
          Before it was the Odeon it was called the Voque. the Kings became the
          Gaumount and then the Odeon
        • Doon The Toon
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 11 11:45 PM
            Hi Ken. You said:

            >Does anyone have a photograph of it? If you do, Gordon would like to add
            >it to his collection at:
            >http://www.chem.gla.ac.uk/~gbarr/cinemas/scotland/dundee/index.html

            For photos of the Strathmartine Road Odeon, see:

            http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/cavalcade/dundee.jpg

            http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/cavalcade/dundee1.jpg

            Also the main home page at:

            http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/cavalcade/index.html

            This site, having been in existence for a number of years, has recently
            moved location and been upgraded. It also has photos of the
            Kings/Gaumont/Odeon in Cowgate.

            Doon 8=)

            * For Dundonians +++ www.DoonTheToon.ukf.net +++ everywhere!*
            _