Re: Park Place Primary School and Po tay to, Po tah to

  • anne_ide2003
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 28, 2004
      "Toerag" is a corruption of "tuareg", a nomadic desert Arab of North
      Africa.
      Rhyme Tay with say, and you've got it right!
      --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, Lair Behr <danifax@y...>

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 28, 2004
        Thank you
        --- anne_ide2003 <anne_ide2003@...>

        http://my.yahoo.com
      • Linda
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 29, 2004
          Hi there

          I had to laugh when I read your e-mail. Not bad for somebody whose memory is
          a wee bit rusty. I can't remember any of the teacher's names at all.

          I'm afraid that I also am one of the toerags from the Nethergate, I lived at
          number 43. My name then was Linda Gordon and my brother Ronnie Gordon. You
          may. or then again may not know us. Of course you wouldn't have been in our
          gang" lol. I was older than you by four years and so much more mature than
          you. lol, or least that's what we thought.

          We also left the Nethergate in 1960, but we moved to Douglas and Angus, so
          much more up market. I went to Logie Secondary in Blackness Road. We had a
          better class of toerags than St. Marys. lol We even moved into a priest's
          house. See, blessed as well. lol.

          Who did you "play" with then. Who was in your gang??

          My son actually went to the nursery school at Park Place. The new bit of
          course in 1975, as did my niece.

          I'd love to hear more about what you got up to and who your friends were
          when you lived in the Nethergate.

          Linda

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 29, 2004
            My definition of toerag is someone who is a ragamuffin or from the poorer
            part of town. Posh, is someone from the upper class with plenty of money.

            Tay is pronounced the same as say.

            Hope this helps

            Linda

            My people came from Hawkhill circa 1840! But for those of us
            Americans challenged in the Language: Define "toerag", please.
            Does it have to do with socks, or the lack thereof?

            I know "posh" comes from the designation P.O.S.H. on your ticket
            and where your cabin was on the ship.

            Also...how do natives pronounce "TAY"? Is it said like "say" or
            "tie"? I've heard both. Thank you, in advance.

            > When I look back at my time there, the thing that strikes me is the total
            > cross section of pupils who were there; "posh" kids from the "big houses"
            > on the south side of Perth road out beyond Windsor Street mixed with
            > toerags from Hawkhill, Nethergate and Tay Street. I was a toerag from
            > Nethergate! I remember going to a birthday party in one of the big houses
            > out there and was severely impressed!
            >
            > Doon 8=)

            http://mail.yahoo.com

            Please remember to bookmark our Home Page. Those with Yahoo IDs will be able
            to view our Archives of Messages,Files, and Bookmarks. Go to: