Re: [dundee-history] Dundee Provosts

    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 23, 2004
      At 11:08 PM 23/10/2004, Janice wrote:

      ><SNIP>
      >I am seeking information about the early provosts of Dundee,
      >particularly George Yeaman after whom the Yeaman Shore was named, But
      >also Patrick and David.
      <SNIP>
      Given a day or two, i am sure I can help you just a little from my copy of
      " The Municipal History of Dundee" published in 1878 by Winter, Duncan & Co.

      I see that James Yeaman was a Bailie in 1861, and was Provost in 1871.

      "Glimpses of Old and New Dundee, published in 1925, does ahve a little
      write up on Yeaman's Shore. It says "This is the designation of a passage
      from the Nethergait to the Harbour, going back to 1600. Itr seems likely
      that the Yeamans of Dryburgh, near Lochee, had a residence hrere. George
      Yeaman was Provost from 1706 till 1708. and again from 1710 till 1712, and
      that at a time when the normal tenure of office was for only one year. The
      Dundee Theatre existed in Yeaman's Shore until 1924.

      More later as I dig around for you.

      Jimmie R
    • jimrob_009
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 23, 2004
        --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "nightingalejanice"
        <nightingalejanice@h...> wrote:

        ><SNIP>
        > I am seeking information about the early provosts of Dundee,
        > particularly George Yeaman after whom the Yeaman Shore was named, But
        > also Patrick and David.
        > Living in Australia it's very difficult to access records or even
        > decent reference books about Dundee's history.
        <SNIP>

        Janice, i see that you do have a Yahoo ID, and you can therefore
        browse through our archives of Messages, Files, and Links. Maybe you
        have done so already - sorry for the prompt - but do have a second
        look. Lot's of good reference sites are Linked, particularly the Local
        studies Section of the Central Library.

        Have a look too at my book list about Dundee - ISBN refs are quoted
        for the more recent books. http://jimjar.net/DUNDEE

        Good luck

        jimmie R
      • Xantheand@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 23, 2004
          Hi Janice

          Thanks for the "War story"

          SUe

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 14, 2004
            Janice N' recently wrote about City dignitaries, and the Yeaman family in
            particular.

            I gave her some information and promised to dig into my "Municipal history
            of Dundee" published in 1878.

            I have now been through this sizeable book, which has no Index, and have
            found references to the Yeaman family, whilst performing duties as Bailies,
            or Provosts, over many years. Some refer to the election of Common
            Councillors in 1716, -James Yeaman, and to George Yeaman , Merchant,
            serving on an enquiry into the misuse of Election Tickets in 1716. pp. 97
            & 99.

            It is noted that George Yeaman of Gowrie had been the MP for Dundee, from
            the end of the 17th century, into the early part of the 18th century, when
            the Act of Union between Scotland and England was enacted.

            One amusing incident in 1712 records GeorgeYeaman , whilst Provost,
            dispensing justice to four vagabond women, who were removed from the
            town! p. 101

            The earliest reference is to David Yeaman , in 1652, being made partially
            responsible for the protection of the Overgate area, as General Monk was
            about to attack and later desolate the town. p.269

            In 1872, the Town Council, led by Provosty James Yeaman donated a new bell
            for the new "Peal of Bells" following a fire at the old City Churches in
            1841. This new bell was th F sharp bell, which weighed in at 14
            cwt. pp.205/6.

            There are a few other incidents recorded, some leading up to the
            establishment of the family home at Murie in the Carse of Gowrie.

            If Janice is interested, I could make extracts of some of these incidents,
            and send them to her in Australia, where I also live.

            Jimmie Robertson
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 14, 2004
              Robin Hallam wrote to the Group -

              James Yeaman was still Provost of Dundee on 10 June 1872 when he
              attended a function at Lambs Hotel and after giving an 800 word
              speech, presented 15 awards to a number of Dundee ironworkers.

              The function was a gathering of the Amalgamated Ironworkers of
              Dundee to commemorate the peaceful settlement of a strike four or
              five months previous that had the workers out for about a
              fortnight. The workers achieved a work week that was from 7:00AM -
              5:00PM Monday to Friday and 7:00AM - 1:00PM on Saturday. The
              assembly was served tea followed by five speeches including that of
              Provost Yeaman, then the presentations and followed by "several
              songs by Miss Sturrock and a number of duets by Messrs. Johnston and
              Ford".

              I know about that evening at Lambs Hotel because my g-grandfather
              Robert Ireland Robb was Secretary of the Amalgamated Ironworkers and
              was presented that evening with a writing desk by Provost Yeaman
              which I still have in my possession. The inscription on a brass
              plate inlaid in the desk includes the words "their appreciation of
              his services during the struggle for the 51 hours".

              Robin Hallam
              Duncan British Columbia

              PS I have an contemporary account of that evening from the Dundee
              Advertiser that includes word for word all the speeches and the
              details of the presentations. I would send a copy to anyone
              interested.

              Send any requests to the Group.
            • Ken Anton
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 17, 2004
                Hello,

                Jim's recent post mentioned the bells in St. Mary's Tower (The Old Steeple).

                The tower and Steeple Church survived the 1841 fire, but the cross kirk (now
                the Slessor Centre) and east kirk (St. Mary's) did not.

                The bell tower has a peal of 8 bells, hung for full-circle ringing. There
                are also some old bells on display in the Antiquities Room in the tower, but
                these are much older than the working set.

                There are eight bells tuned to a complete octave, ranging from the treble
                (highest note) weighing 287 kg (5cwt 2qtr 17lbs) to the tenor (lowest note)
                at 995 kg (19cwt 2qtr 10lbs).

                The Tenor bell was cast in 1819 by Thomas Mears at the Whitechapel Bell
                Foundry in London, the other seven bells were cast in 1872 by the same
                foundry, now called Mears & Stainbank. This is the foundry which also
                manufactured "Big Ben", in the Houses of Parliament clock-tower in London,
                and the USA's Liberty Bell.

                Jim wrote:
                >> In 1872, the Town Council, led by Provost James Yeaman donated a new bell
                for the new "Peal of Bells" following a fire at the old City Churches in
                1841. This new bell was the F sharp bell, which weighed in at 14 cwt.
                pp.205/6.

                The bells are tuned to an octave in E, so I think this would be the 7th,
                being F#.

                The bells are rung every Sunday and also week-day practice nights: contact
                information, for anyone who would like to try it:
                http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~saelwell/bell1.htm

                Go on, it's great fun!

                Best regards

                Ken
              • gray1720
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 18, 2004
                  I'd love to have a go, Ken, but it's long old stretch of the rope
                  from Dundee to Oxford! However I did hear them when I was in Dundee
                  in 2000, and was most impressed by the sound. They did not seem to be
                  ringing full circle, but were chiming a hymn tune, using four bells
                  (I think - I am to tune and rhythm what Long John Silver was to
                  ballroom dancing!). Maddeningly, I can't remember the hymn either.

                  Hopefully one of these days my girlfriend and I will come up to
                  Dundee ancestor-chasing and drop by on practice night. Have you got a
                  real ale pub (the essential adjunct to ringing!) to go to afterwards?

                  Adrian

                  --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Anton" <ken.anton@t...>