Re: [dundee-history] World War 2 in Dundee

  • ken.anton@tesco.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 12, 2004
      Hello,

      My mother's parents rented a holiday cottage on a farm north of Kirriemuir, and my mother and her mother lived there for a few years during the war. My mother had to cycle a few miles (in the dark in winter) to Dykehead to catch a bus to school in Kirriemuir. Her father continued to stay in Dundee where he worked, and he was an ARP warden as well for the west end of Dundee.

      My father was at school in Dundee when war broke out. He remembers taking turns on air-raid / fire-watch duty on the roof of the school as one of the senior pupils. On leaving school, he joined the RAF for the last two years of the war.

      Best regards

      Ken

      From: "Sue Anderson" <Xantheand@...>
      Date: 2004/10/10 Sun PM 08:16:21 GMT
      To: dundee-history@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [dundee-history] World War 2 in Dundee

      Hi Listers

      My son is doing World War II at school and wanted to know if the
      children in Dundee were evacuated and if so,where.

      I can remember my mother telling me how she and a friend were strafed
      walking down a street in Arbroath (or possibly Arbirlot) and a
      shopkeeper dragged them out of the way and gave them ice cream to
      help them get over the shock, but otherwise her war memories seem to
      have consisted almost entirely of dancing with Polish officers.

      Anyway if anyone can help me with this query I'd be very grateful.

      Cheers
      Sue
      Harrow, England