Dundee and WW2

  • Jenny Spankie
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 11, 2004
      Sue

      My father and his brother were sent to a farm near Blairgowrie. So it seems
      they were sending children towards both the West and North.

      Jenny Spankie

      http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger
    • dave perks
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 11, 2004
        I can remember well the evacuation. The idea was to get as many civilians
        out of the cities and towns and move them to safer areas. I and my family
        were sent to Kirriemuir which is about ten miles north of Dundee.
        On arrival at the railway station at Kirrie we were met by members of the
        ARP who march us up to the town hall where we each recieved a can of bully
        beef, a can of Carnation milk, a one pound bag of sugar, a small bottle of
        concentrated orange juice. After we were told the rules, we were then handed
        over to our alloted families and transported to our new digs.
        I along with my family was taken to one of the largest houses in the town
        ( I won't name the owner) It was a huge three story house with lots of
        rooms, Only two of which were occupied. The owners in one and the maid in
        the other. Our rooms were up in three small attics. Our beds were old army
        cots (I think from ww1). The next day my mother was down at the town hall,
        along with dozens of other mothers complaining about the treatment and
        living quarters that we had been given. The next day we were moved to a
        cottage further up the road. The owner , a retired school teacher lived
        there with a maid called Famy. She was a jewel and looked after us like we
        were her own.
        I think we were there for about three months when the owner died. At this
        point we were told that we were going to be moved again. This time to Glen
        Prozen where we were the sole ocupants of a three bedroom farm cottage where
        we sytayed for about six months.
        We were then told that we could return to Dundee or stay for the duration of
        the war.
        My mother decided that we would move back to Dundee as my oldest sister and
        brother had got jobs in Dundee.
        Some of my friends who were evacuated with us stayed on to the end of the
        war, but most families decided to come home.
        It should be rembered that not all of the people who took in the evacuees
        were doing it out of the goodnes of their hearts and not all of us lived
        happy lives.