World War 2 in Dundee

  • Sue Anderson
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 10, 2004
      Hi Listers

      My son is doing World War II at school and wanted to know if the
      children in Dundee were evacuated and if so,where.

      I can remember my mother telling me how she and a friend were strafed
      walking down a street in Arbroath (or possibly Arbirlot) and a
      shopkeeper dragged them out of the way and gave them ice cream to
      help them get over the shock, but otherwise her war memories seem to
      have consisted almost entirely of dancing with Polish officers.

      Anyway if anyone can help me with this query I'd be very grateful.

      Cheers
      Sue
      Harrow, England
    • dlnbn@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 11, 2004
        In a message dated 10/10/2004 21:17:08 GMT Standard Time, Xantheand@...
        writes:

        > My son is doing World War II at school and wanted to know if the
        > children in Dundee were evacuated and if so,where.

        I think some went as far as Monifieth !
        Douglas Nicholson (dlnbn@...)

      • gray1720
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 11, 2004
          > > My son is doing World War II at school and wanted to know if the
          > > children in Dundee were evacuated and if so,where.

          In 2003 Radio 4 did a series where various aged entertainers recalled
          their careers - this was in the 6.30pm "funny" slot. One of them was
          Bruce Forsyth. He recalled being evacuated - I forget where from - to
          Edinburgh. His father had a job that gave him a petrol ration and
          reason to go to Scotland so he went to visit his son. On seeing a
          battleship moored in the Firth of Forth, he took Bruce home with him,
          with a cry of "The damn war is closer here than it is at home!".

          I suspect that if children were being evacuated to Edinburgh - port,
          naval base, etc - then Dundee children probably GOT evacuees in their
          houses rather than becoming evacuees.

          Now the caveat - I was born in Essex in 1971, so have no first hand
          knowledge!

          Adrian
        • anne_ide2003
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 11, 2004
            --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "Sue Anderson"
            <Xantheand@a...> wrote:
            > There were certainly evacuees sent to Dundee from London, as
            one ,Morris, was boarded with my great-uncle and aunt. They kept in
            touch and, when my aunt died in the '80s, Morris came up from London
            to attend the funeral, when I met him for the first time.
            As regards Dundee children being evacuated, there are several
            pictures from DC Thomson's archives showing children lined up in
            Kings Road, with suitcases and gas masks, ready to go.The Angus
            countryside was certainly a popular destination.
            > Hi Listers
            >
            > My son is doing World War II at school and wanted to know if the
            > children in Dundee were evacuated and if so,where.
            >
            > I can remember my mother telling me how she and a friend were
            strafed
            > walking down a street in Arbroath (or possibly Arbirlot) and a
            > shopkeeper dragged them out of the way and gave them ice cream to
            > help them get over the shock, but otherwise her war memories seem
            > have consisted almost entirely of dancing with Polish officers.
            >
            > Anyway if anyone can help me with this query I'd be very grateful.
            >
            > Cheers
            > Sue
            > Harrow, England
          • ANNE RENNIE
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 11, 2004
              <Xantheand@a...> wrote:

              > Hi Listers
              >
              > My son is doing World War II at school and wanted to know if the
              > children in Dundee were evacuated and if so,where.

              My parents were both evacuated from Dundee.....Mum went to stay with
              a family called Gerrard at Bentyhowe, Cookney, near Stonehaven, and
              my Dad stayed at Laurencekirk.

              Anne.
            • ken.anton@tesco.net
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 12, 2004
                Hello,

                My mother's parents rented a holiday cottage on a farm north of Kirriemuir, and my mother and her mother lived there for a few years during the war. My mother had to cycle a few miles (in the dark in winter) to Dykehead to catch a bus to school in Kirriemuir. Her father continued to stay in Dundee where he worked, and he was an ARP warden as well for the west end of Dundee.

                My father was at school in Dundee when war broke out. He remembers taking turns on air-raid / fire-watch duty on the roof of the school as one of the senior pupils. On leaving school, he joined the RAF for the last two years of the war.

                Best regards

                Ken