Re: Civic Appointments 1800s

  • GButtars@taybank.freeserve.co.uk
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2004
      Hi Barbara,

      Broughty Ferry achieved burgh status in 1864. This remained until
      it became part of Dundee in 1913. The Broughty Ferry Town Council
      minutes (1877-1913) are with Dundee City Archives. These include
      minutes of the Police Commissioners.

      It is worth noting that the Police Commissioners were not like the
      modern police but had responsibilities for certain civic amenities
      (e.g. street lighting), functions which nowadays would rest with the
      local council itself.

      All the best,

      Grant

      --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Neish"
      <neishnook@i...> wrote:
      > Hello Everyone :
      >
      > My ancestor, DANIEL WALKER, 1804 - 1878) (husband to Anna
      Elizabeth Neish)