Grimonds in Cowgate

  • gray1720
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 20, 2004
      Hi all,

      As a result of the discussion about Carbet Castle ceiling I've bought
      a copy of
      McKean and Walker's "Dundee: An Illustrated Introduction". In there
      it states
      that the Grimonds lived at the Cowgate gusset (sounds like the
      invention of a
      demented rural tailor...) prior to moving to Carbet Castle. Does
      anyone have
      any idea when? If it was around 1871 it might be worth my while
      getting
      TVFHS to do a look-up for me 9or perhaps saving it for the summer and
      visiting again!).

      Many thanks,

      Adrian
    • GButtars@taybank.freeserve.co.uk
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 20, 2004
        Hi Adrian,

        Part of their house is now a pub, though one of the few in Dundee
        I've never been in. Many years ago however I did go to a party in
        the flat upstairs, which must have been one of the main reception
        rooms originally.

        I can say that Joseph Grimmond & Jane Ann Robinson were having
        children in the parish of Monifieth by 1860 at least, suggesting
        they were in Broghty Ferry by then. The earlier children were born
        in Manchester.

        Grant
        --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "gray1720" <adrian.gray@p...>