Re: [dundee-history] Church of Scotland

  • ken.anton@tesco.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 18, 2004
      Hello,

      At the Reformation, circa 1580, the Church decreed that all parishes should record the details of baptisms & proclamation of marriages of adherents. Not all parishes started records immediately, most by the mid-1600s. A small number of parishes also recorded details of non-adherents (e.g. Episcopalians in Glencarse), but that is rare.

      What it means is that if your ancestors were Church members, you are more likely to find records than is not. I can trace my family to 1585 in the Dundee area, for example.

      Some useful genealogical links may be found at http://www.dundeestmarys.co.uk/links.html#Genealogy

      Best regards

      Ken

      From: clannorm@...
      Date: 2004/03/17 Wed PM 08:43:34 GMT
      To: dundee-history@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [dundee-history] Church of Scotland

      My mothers family were Church of Scotland. My mother against the
      wishes of her family married my Irish Catholic father. This might
      explain why I know nothing about the Church of Scotland.
      Anyway I'm wondering what being a member of this church would mean
      as far as genealogy goes. The family name was Archer and I wonder if
      this could tell anybody anything.
      Excus my ignorance

      Please remember to bookmark our Home Page. Those with Yahoo IDs will be able to view our Archives of Messages,Files, and Bookmarks. Go to:

      Yahoo! Groups Links