Union Street - Pre 1796

  • Barbara Neish
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 7, 2004
      Hello Everyone :

      Might someone know if the buildings at the lower end of Union Street, Dundee, around the year 1796 would have been mercantile or residential? The buildings were owned by my family that year and one is noted as having previously been "Old Magazine or Windmill" and the other, at the rear of that site, formerly "Gilbert Adams House".

      Have I found my GrGrGrgrandparent's home or just a warehouse?

      Much obliged,
      Barbara Neish - Bermuda
      neishnook@...

    • G.Buttars@tesco.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 8, 2004
        Barbara,

        Union Street would not have been that old in 1796. I can't remember
        exactly when it was feued out but the street is largely very late
        18th and early 19th century. The buildings are/were nearly all shops
        at street level with homes above.

        The street was cut through existing buildings, so your references may
        refer to what was demolished in the process. What is the context to
        these references?

        See http://www.dundeecity.gov.uk/photodb/wc0658.htm
        for a later picture looking up Union Street from Yeaman Shore.

        Grant

        --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Neish"