Re: Robertson & Bruce Ltd, 90 Comercial St

  • G.Buttars@tesco.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
      Jimmie,

      Today in Comercial Street there is Fraser & Son who are fine art
      dealers. I'm not sure how long they have been there but Fraser &
      Son are listed at No. 38 in my 1974 Dundee Directory and they are
      still operating under that name at that address. They may have some
      knowledge of Robertson & Bruce. Unfortunately they don't seem to
      have a web page or email.

      Eduardo Alessandro Studios in Broughty Ferry may also know something
      of Robertson & Bruce. They have a website at
      http://www.eastudios.com/

      Best wishes,

      Grant

      --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, Jim Robertson <jimjar@o...>
      wrote:
      > I wonder if any of our stalwart locals can recall this "Fine Art
      Dealer"
      > who operated from the top end of Commercial St, getting on for
      Meadowside
      > ?They seem to have gone out of business sometime in latter years,
      I know
      > not when!
      >
      > I am digging into the "provenance" of the odd picture which my
      Father
      > bought from them in the 1940s, and I find that they have gone out
      of
      > business. My Dad was for many years, the owner of James Anderson
      (Chemist)
      > Ltd of 70/74 Commercial St, and was a pal of "R & B", being near
      > neighbours! Can any one give me a clue as to who might have taken
      over
      > their business - and customer records ?
      >
      > Jimmie R, Eumundi, Qld., Oz.
      > http://jimjar.net/
    • scottie572001
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
        I remember Robertson and Bruce and Fraser and Son. I left Dundee in
        '69,so that puts them both in the sixties and before I'm sure.
        Contacting Fraser and Son would be a very good idea - they must have
        known each other well.
        Russell.

        --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, G.Buttars@t... wrote:
        > Jimmie,
        >
        > Today in Comercial Street there is Fraser & Son who are fine art
        > dealers. I'm not sure how long they have been there but Fraser &
        > Son are listed at No. 38 in my 1974 Dundee Directory and they are
        > still operating under that name at that address. They may have
        some
        > knowledge of Robertson & Bruce. Unfortunately they don't seem to
        > have a web page or email.
        >
        > Eduardo Alessandro Studios in Broughty Ferry may also know
        something
        > of Robertson & Bruce. They have a website at
        > http://www.eastudios.com/
        >
        > Best wishes,
        >
        > Grant
        >
        > --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, Jim Robertson <jimjar@o...>
        > wrote:
        > > I wonder if any of our stalwart locals can recall this "Fine Art
        > Dealer"
        > > who operated from the top end of Commercial St, getting on for
        > Meadowside
        > > ?They seem to have gone out of business sometime in latter years,
        > I know
        > > not when!
        > >
        > > I am digging into the "provenance" of the odd picture which my
        > Father
        > > bought from them in the 1940s, and I find that they have gone out
        > of
        > > business. My Dad was for many years, the owner of James Anderson
        > (Chemist)
        > > Ltd of 70/74 Commercial St, and was a pal of "R & B", being near
        > > neighbours! Can any one give me a clue as to who might have taken
        > over
        > > their business - and customer records ?
        > >
        > > Jimmie R, Eumundi, Qld., Oz.
        > > http://jimjar.net/
      • John G Duffus
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
          Robertson & Bruce are in the 1954-55 directory but 1955-56 they have
          disappeared.

          John

        • Jock Laidlaw
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2004
            --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, John G Duffus
            <jackieduffus@b...> wrote:
            > Robertson & Bruce are in the 1954-55 directory but 1955-56 they
            have
            > disappeared.
            >
            > John
            >
            > ----------
            > Hi Jackie Duffus fae Quarryknowe,

            I see Fraser & Son listed in the 1961 Dundee Directory
            at 38 Commercial St.

            Cheers, Jock.

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 2, 2004
              At 02:37 PM 1/02/2004 +0000, you wrote:
              >Jimmie,
              >
              >Today in Comercial Street there is Fraser & Son who are fine art
              >dealers. I'm not sure how long they have been there but Fraser &
              >Son are listed at No. 38 in my 1974 Dundee Directory

              Hi Grant,

              thanks for the tip about Fraser & Son - I do remember their shop from yonks
              ago !

              I'll drop them a line.

              Thanks too to other good friends in our Group for titbits of info re Art
              Dealers, which I will be following up.

              Jimmie R