Robertson & Bruce Ltd, 90 Comercial St

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 29, 2004
      I wonder if any of our stalwart locals can recall this "Fine Art Dealer"
      who operated from the top end of Commercial St, getting on for Meadowside
      ?They seem to have gone out of business sometime in latter years, I know
      not when!

      I am digging into the "provenance" of the odd picture which my Father
      bought from them in the 1940s, and I find that they have gone out of
      business. My Dad was for many years, the owner of James Anderson (Chemist)
      Ltd of 70/74 Commercial St, and was a pal of "R & B", being near
      neighbours! Can any one give me a clue as to who might have taken over
      their business - and customer records ?

      Jimmie R, Eumundi, Qld., Oz.
      http://jimjar.net/
    • G.Buttars@tesco.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1 6:37 AM
        Jimmie,

        Today in Comercial Street there is Fraser & Son who are fine art
        dealers. I'm not sure how long they have been there but Fraser &
        Son are listed at No. 38 in my 1974 Dundee Directory and they are
        still operating under that name at that address. They may have some
        knowledge of Robertson & Bruce. Unfortunately they don't seem to
        have a web page or email.

        Eduardo Alessandro Studios in Broughty Ferry may also know something
        of Robertson & Bruce. They have a website at
        http://www.eastudios.com/

        Best wishes,

        Grant

        --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, Jim Robertson <jimjar@o...>
        wrote:
        > I wonder if any of our stalwart locals can recall this "Fine Art
        Dealer"
        > who operated from the top end of Commercial St, getting on for
        Meadowside
        > ?They seem to have gone out of business sometime in latter years,
        I know
        > not when!
        >
        > I am digging into the "provenance" of the odd picture which my
        Father
        > bought from them in the 1940s, and I find that they have gone out
        of
        > business. My Dad was for many years, the owner of James Anderson
        (Chemist)
        > Ltd of 70/74 Commercial St, and was a pal of "R & B", being near
        > neighbours! Can any one give me a clue as to who might have taken
        over
        > their business - and customer records ?
        >
        > Jimmie R, Eumundi, Qld., Oz.
        > http://jimjar.net/
      • scottie572001
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1 9:14 AM
          I remember Robertson and Bruce and Fraser and Son. I left Dundee in
          '69,so that puts them both in the sixties and before I'm sure.
          Contacting Fraser and Son would be a very good idea - they must have
          known each other well.
          Russell.

          --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, G.Buttars@t... wrote:
          > Jimmie,
          >
          > Today in Comercial Street there is Fraser & Son who are fine art
          > dealers. I'm not sure how long they have been there but Fraser &
          > Son are listed at No. 38 in my 1974 Dundee Directory and they are
          > still operating under that name at that address. They may have
          some
          > knowledge of Robertson & Bruce. Unfortunately they don't seem to
          > have a web page or email.
          >
          > Eduardo Alessandro Studios in Broughty Ferry may also know
          something
          > of Robertson & Bruce. They have a website at
          > http://www.eastudios.com/
          >
          > Best wishes,
          >
          > Grant
          >
          > --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, Jim Robertson <jimjar@o...>
          > wrote:
          > > I wonder if any of our stalwart locals can recall this "Fine Art
          > Dealer"
          > > who operated from the top end of Commercial St, getting on for
          > Meadowside
          > > ?They seem to have gone out of business sometime in latter years,
          > I know
          > > not when!
          > >
          > > I am digging into the "provenance" of the odd picture which my
          > Father
          > > bought from them in the 1940s, and I find that they have gone out
          > of
          > > business. My Dad was for many years, the owner of James Anderson
          > (Chemist)
          > > Ltd of 70/74 Commercial St, and was a pal of "R & B", being near
          > > neighbours! Can any one give me a clue as to who might have taken
          > over
          > > their business - and customer records ?
          > >
          > > Jimmie R, Eumundi, Qld., Oz.
          > > http://jimjar.net/
        • John G Duffus
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1 3:08 PM
            Robertson & Bruce are in the 1954-55 directory but 1955-56 they have
            disappeared.

            John

          • Jock Laidlaw
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 2 10:49 AM
              --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, John G Duffus
              <jackieduffus@b...> wrote:
              > Robertson & Bruce are in the 1954-55 directory but 1955-56 they
              have
              > disappeared.
              >
              > John
              >
              > ----------
              > Hi Jackie Duffus fae Quarryknowe,

              I see Fraser & Son listed in the 1961 Dundee Directory
              at 38 Commercial St.

              Cheers, Jock.

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 2 2:31 PM
                At 02:37 PM 1/02/2004 +0000, you wrote:
                >Jimmie,
                >
                >Today in Comercial Street there is Fraser & Son who are fine art
                >dealers. I'm not sure how long they have been there but Fraser &
                >Son are listed at No. 38 in my 1974 Dundee Directory

                Hi Grant,

                thanks for the tip about Fraser & Son - I do remember their shop from yonks
                ago !

                I'll drop them a line.

                Thanks too to other good friends in our Group for titbits of info re Art
                Dealers, which I will be following up.

                Jimmie R