Re: [dundee-history] Glebe Street

  • David Perks
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 30, 2003
      I guess you could at that time call it the south east. If you are trying to
      find it on a map, look for St Mathew's Church. Glebe Street is to the north
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
        Ken it must have been your father that I knew. I bought a shortbread mold
        from that freezer shop around 1960. My wife is using it this week, making
        shortbread for New Year's visitors.
        Grant could you please e-mail me a copy of that map? For Lilybank Rd to take
        that direction, it would have to become part of Arbroath Rd, turning left
        and going down Robson Street to the Ferry Rd or turning right and going
        down Baffin Street, or going down Springhill, it could not go do Eden Street
        as it stopped at Watson Street.
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
          Checked a decent street plan of Dundee this evening. Glebe Street
          only went up as far as Lilybank Road. The remaining stretch up to
          Arbroath Road was Lilybank Road, which snaked from Arbroath Road
          down to Broughty Ferry Road.

          Regards,

          Grant
        • Ken Anton
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
            Hello David,

            I was only 6 in 1965, so it was probably my father you knew. I do remember
            the slater's yard at or near the top of Springhill. I think it was between
            Thornbank Street and Springhill. I used to walk past there on my way to
            school at Glebelands.

            I lived in Murray Street, and walked to school with some of the kids from
            Carolina House, a couple were in my class. Normally we walked along Ferry
            Road, up Springhill, along Watson Street to the school.

            On the way home, we went via the bakery in Baffin Street, down the steps to

            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 3, 2003
              Hi Ken. You said:

              >The bar fittings were removed, and I
              >think look suspiciously like the model bar room in the museum in town.
              >Perhaps someone can confirm or refute this?

              There's a notice in the bar display at the museum which tells where the
              fittings are from.

              From memory, one of the pubs involved was the one at the corner of St.
              Roques Lane and Cowgate, although you know what memory's like!

              Doon.

              * For Dundonians +++ www.DoonTheToon.ukf.net +++ everywhere!*
              _
              ( ) ASCII ribbon campaign
              X against HTML e-mail
              / \

            • David Perks
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 3, 2003
                Hi Doon that pub you mention was the John O Groats at the end of the Cowgate
                > >think look suspiciously like the model bar room in the museum in town.
                > >Perhaps someone can confirm or refute this?
                >
                > There's a notice in the bar display at the museum which tells where the
                > fittings are from.
                >
                > From memory, one of the pubs involved was the one at the corner of St.
                > Roques Lane and Cowgate, although you know what memory's like!
                >
                > Doon.
                >
                > * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
                > * For Dundonians +++ www.DoonTheToon.ukf.net +++ everywhere!*
                > * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
                > _
                > ( ) ASCII ribbon campaign
                > X against HTML e-mail
                > / \

              • Jock Laidlaw
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 3, 2003
                  --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, Doon The Toon
                  <doonthetoon@n...> wrote:
                  > Hi Ken. You said:
                  >
                  > >The bar fittings were removed, and I
                  > >think look suspiciously like the model bar room in the museum in
                  town.
                  > >Perhaps someone can confirm or refute this?
                  >
                  > There's a notice in the bar display at the museum which tells where
                  the
                  > fittings are from.
                  >
                  > From memory, one of the pubs involved was the one at the corner of
                  St.
                  > Roques Lane and Cowgate, although you know what memory's like!
                  >
                  > Doon.
                  Hi Doon, the pub in the museum came from the Old Toll Bar (Bob
                  Milne) in Gray's Lane, Lochee, next door to the Rialto cinema.
                  Cheers, Jock.>
                  > * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
                  *
                  > * For Dundonians +++ www.DoonTheToon.ukf.net +++ everywhere!
                  *
                  > * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
                  *
                  > _
                  > ( ) ASCII ribbon campaign
                  > X against HTML e-mail
                  > / \
                  >
                  > * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
                  *
                • Jock Laidlaw
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 3, 2003
                    --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "David Perks" <banjo046@s...>
                    wrote:
                    > Hi Doon that pub you mention was the John O Groats at the end of
                    the Cowgate

                    Hi Doon. The bar in the museum was The Old Toll Bar in Lochee (Gray's
                    Lane) next door to the Rialto cinema.
                    Cheers, Jock.

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/