Re: [dundee-history] Re: Glebe Street (& The Haparanda)

  • David Perks
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 30, 2003
      Grant you do have it right now Glebe Street did end up as a culd sac on the
      south side of Watson street The rest of the shops you mention I remember
      except for the DECS. (I left Dundee in 1965), The Anchor Bar I knew well. I
      also knew you Ken but I doubt if you would remember me. I worked for D&G.
      Law (Slaters) in Springhill. I have never sneen the exibit in the museum,
      but I was told that it came from the John O Groats (??)
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 30, 2003
        I guess you could at that time call it the south east. If you are trying to
        find it on a map, look for St Mathew's Church. Glebe Street is to the north
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
          Ken it must have been your father that I knew. I bought a shortbread mold
          from that freezer shop around 1960. My wife is using it this week, making
          shortbread for New Year's visitors.
          Grant could you please e-mail me a copy of that map? For Lilybank Rd to take
          that direction, it would have to become part of Arbroath Rd, turning left
          and going down Robson Street to the Ferry Rd or turning right and going
          down Baffin Street, or going down Springhill, it could not go do Eden Street
          as it stopped at Watson Street.
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
            Checked a decent street plan of Dundee this evening. Glebe Street
            only went up as far as Lilybank Road. The remaining stretch up to
            Arbroath Road was Lilybank Road, which snaked from Arbroath Road
            down to Broughty Ferry Road.

            Regards,

            Grant
          • Ken Anton
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
              Hello David,

              I was only 6 in 1965, so it was probably my father you knew. I do remember
              the slater's yard at or near the top of Springhill. I think it was between
              Thornbank Street and Springhill. I used to walk past there on my way to
              school at Glebelands.

              I lived in Murray Street, and walked to school with some of the kids from
              Carolina House, a couple were in my class. Normally we walked along Ferry
              Road, up Springhill, along Watson Street to the school.

              On the way home, we went via the bakery in Baffin Street, down the steps to

              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 3, 2003
                Hi Ken. You said:

                >The bar fittings were removed, and I
                >think look suspiciously like the model bar room in the museum in town.
                >Perhaps someone can confirm or refute this?

                There's a notice in the bar display at the museum which tells where the
                fittings are from.

                From memory, one of the pubs involved was the one at the corner of St.
                Roques Lane and Cowgate, although you know what memory's like!

                Doon.

                * For Dundonians +++ www.DoonTheToon.ukf.net +++ everywhere!*
                _
                ( ) ASCII ribbon campaign
                X against HTML e-mail
                / \

              • David Perks
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 3, 2003
                  Hi Doon that pub you mention was the John O Groats at the end of the Cowgate
                  > >think look suspiciously like the model bar room in the museum in town.
                  > >Perhaps someone can confirm or refute this?
                  >
                  > There's a notice in the bar display at the museum which tells where the
                  > fittings are from.
                  >
                  > From memory, one of the pubs involved was the one at the corner of St.
                  > Roques Lane and Cowgate, although you know what memory's like!
                  >
                  > Doon.
                  >
                  > * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
                  > * For Dundonians +++ www.DoonTheToon.ukf.net +++ everywhere!*
                  > * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
                  > _
                  > ( ) ASCII ribbon campaign
                  > X against HTML e-mail
                  > / \

                • Jock Laidlaw
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 3, 2003
                    --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, Doon The Toon
                    <doonthetoon@n...> wrote:
                    > Hi Ken. You said:
                    >
                    > >The bar fittings were removed, and I
                    > >think look suspiciously like the model bar room in the museum in
                    town.
                    > >Perhaps someone can confirm or refute this?
                    >
                    > There's a notice in the bar display at the museum which tells where
                    the
                    > fittings are from.
                    >
                    > From memory, one of the pubs involved was the one at the corner of
                    St.
                    > Roques Lane and Cowgate, although you know what memory's like!
                    >
                    > Doon.
                    Hi Doon, the pub in the museum came from the Old Toll Bar (Bob
                    Milne) in Gray's Lane, Lochee, next door to the Rialto cinema.
                    Cheers, Jock.>
                    > * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
                    *
                    > * For Dundonians +++ www.DoonTheToon.ukf.net +++ everywhere!
                    *
                    > * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
                    *
                    > _
                    > ( ) ASCII ribbon campaign
                    > X against HTML e-mail
                    > / \

                    *
                  • Jock Laidlaw
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 3, 2003
                      wrote:
                      > Hi Doon that pub you mention was the John O Groats at the end of
                      the Cowgate

                      Hi Doon. The bar in the museum was The Old Toll Bar in Lochee (Gray's
                      Lane) next door to the Rialto cinema.
                      Cheers, Jock.