Re: [dundee-history] Re: Dundee Broadband

  • Keri
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 22, 2003
      The BT tech for Fairmuir told me I might as well go with Telewest
      because it would take awhile, so as of February I've been with Telewest at 2MB.
      But if you look at Fairmuir, they need 300 and are under at least that's what
      my telephone said when I was playing about on their webpage.
      You know it's only taken three extra years.......
      If I hadn't had our e-mail addresses and old phone with BT for almost four years,
      I'd switch all my lines to Telewest. But I'll stop my anti-BT rant now except
      to say they wanted £100 to install an extra line in our new semi and Telewest
      installed it for £10......off soapbox...you can slap me if you work for BT. :-)

      Keri

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 23, 2003
        My company here in the United States opened an office in the British Isles several years ago, and we found that the cities\towns which get these contracts are the ones with an active marketing office. Maybe Dundee city fathers and mothers need to get going and start selling themselves. I know a lot of places don't like to bring in newcomers, new businesses and (ugh) we Americans; however, that is where the money and jobs come from. I also think that Dundeeans (I know that's not the word) need to start thinking of their city as something special. As a child growing up and hearing stories of Scotland from my parents who were both born there, I heard about Aberdeen (Mom) and Glasgow (Dad), but I never heard about Dundee except as a footnote. I have since learned that this is where my maternal family was actually centered. I have since found that this is a huge city with universities, which had large industries and a viable seaport as well as being world renown Protestant religious center.

        You need to hire a public relations person to sell yourselves.

        > BT obvious thinks Inverness is a much more profitable area
        >for high speed broadband than any of us in Dundee, save Carnoustie
        >and they don't count

        Eh?

        Dundee has broadband courtesy of BT!

        Exchanges?

        DUNDEE STEEPLE (City Centre area)

        DUNDEE PARK (Blackness Road, Logie , Menzieshill, etc.)

        DUNDEE BROUGHTY FERRY

        DUNDEE FAIRMUIR (Coldside, etc.) will have broadband ADSL by 3rd
        September 2003

        DUNDEE BAXTER - needs 300 to register interest. Currently at 169.

        DUNDEE LOCHEE - needs 150. Currently at 116.

        DUNDEE CLAVERHOUSE - needs 300. Currently 181.

        MONIFIETH - needs 350. Currently at 143.

        INVERGOWRIE - BT don't think there will be enough interest.

        Don't know if that's all the Dundee exchanges but I checked phone numbers
        from all over the town.
        You too can check availability on your own exchange by entering your
        phone number (or anyone else's!) at:

        http://62.172.198.79/broadband1/getting_broadband/index.asp

        And, of course, cable customers with Telewest can have broadband if they
        want it.

        Doon.

        * For Dundonians +++ www.DoonTheToon.ukf.net +++ everywhere!*
        _
        ( ) ASCII ribbon campaign
        X against HTML e-mail
        / \

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Please remember to bookmark our Home Page. Those with Yahoo IDs will be able to view our Archives of Messages,Files, and Bookmarks. Go to:

      • Doon The Toon
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 24, 2003
          Hi "Keri". You said:

          >But I'll stop my anti-BT rant now except
          >to say they wanted £100 to install an extra line in our new semi and Telewest
          >installed it for £10......off soapbox...you can slap me if you work for BT. :-)

          No, I don't work for BT - I just don't like to read unnecessary negativity about Dundee. Now, when it comes to Dundee United, negativity is entirely warranted! 8=)

          >you can slap me

          Sorry - this is the Dundee History group. You'll have to go elsewhere for S&M!

          In November 2000, my quarterly bill from BT for actual calls was £105. Of this, £64 was attributed to internet access via Tesconet.
          That was the kick I needed to DO SOMETHING about it.
          I couldn't get cable from Telewest, because not all owners in my block had given wayleave to run cables up through the building, so I signed up with NTL, who were doing a deal for BT customers outwith their cable franchise areas. Buy a wee box to plug into the phone line for £10 then, as long as I spent £15 a month on "voice" calls (and that includes local rate calls to other ISP's) I would have FREE internet access 24/7.
          Since then, I think there have only been four occasions when my bill has been greater than £15 so, in effect, I'm getting unlimited internet access for £15 a month - with free voice calls thrown in! Still have to pay BT line rental, though. So I've reduced my quarterly bill to around £84 and can surf whenever I like, caring not a jot about the expense!

          Contented Doon.

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 24, 2003
            Hiya!

            Saw your gallery photies.
            Did you take the Helmsdale one?
            What address were the ones on Helmsdale Avenue taken from?
            Am looking out my window down the street now away from Baldragon towards
            the spot the photie was taken.
            We are near the high school end of Helmsdale Avenue.

            Keri

            Contented Doon.

          • Doon The Toon
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 25, 2003
              Hi "Keri". You said:

              >Saw your gallery photies.
              >Did you take the Helmsdale one?
              >What address were the ones on Helmsdale Avenue taken from?

              No, it was a mate of mine, "Pete the Camera", who took those, in answer
              to a request from a lady called Linda in Canada (He has wheels!).
              I don't know his precise location at the time.

              8=)