RE: The dark day etc

  • Doon The Toon
    Message 1 of 9 , May 25 4:23 AM
      Hi peeps.

      There was some discussion in The Courier's "Craigie Column" some months
      ago about "The Dark Day".
      As far as I can remember, it was in 1930 or thereabouts. It affected much
      of the east coast for an hour or so, making it so dark streetlights were
      on, as somebody already said.

      Doon.

      * For Dundonians +++ www.DoonTheToon.ukf.net +++ everywhere!*
      _
      ( ) ASCII ribbon campaign
      X against HTML e-mail
      / \

    • Grant E. L. Buttars
      Message 2 of 9 , May 26 6:14 AM
        --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Anton" <ken.anton@t...>
        wrote:
        > Hi Sue,
        >
        > I've also heard about the Dark Day, but am not sure when it was.
        >
        > I do remember a day, probably in early 1971, when there was a
        terrible
        > thunderstorm over the town. Lightning struck a few buildings,
        including the
        > spire of St. Andrews church near the Wellgate.

        Ken,

        Are you sure it was as early as 1971? I seem to remember this, though
        I'd only have been 3 in 1971, so it's unlikely. Perhaps it took
        several years to repair the church, and that's what I'm actually
        remembering.

        Grant Buttars
      • Ken Anton
        Message 3 of 9 , May 26 2:09 PM
          Hi Grant,

          Yes, it was definitely 1971, as I left primary school that summer. It did
          take a few years to completely repair the spire... I'm not sure how long,
          but do remember there was a feature in the Courier or 'Tele about the
          wyvern.

          There was an interview with the church warden, I think, and the history of
          why a Welsh wyvern was on the spire in Dundee (Can't remember that bit,
          though!).

          Best regards

          Ken

          > I've also heard about the Dark Day, but am not sure when it was.
          >
          > I do remember a day, probably in early 1971, when there was a
          terrible
          > thunderstorm over the town. Lightning struck a few buildings,
          including the
          > spire of St. Andrews church near the Wellgate.

          Ken,

          Are you sure it was as early as 1971? I seem to remember this, though
          I'd only have been 3 in 1971, so it's unlikely. Perhaps it took
          several years to repair the church, and that's what I'm actually
          remembering.

          Grant Buttars
        • Lindsey
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 10, 2004
            > My father told me that events in Dundee were located in time by
            the
            > following three events: the day the bridge came down, the dark day
            > and the wet review.

            Right, I know I'm way behind on this thread but the dark day was
            mentioned in a book I read yesterday. The dark day was apparently 12
            August 1883 and is mentioned in the Year Book for 1884. I'm hoping
            I'll have time to get over to the library tomorrow to check out some
            other stuff so I will look for this as well. This has got me
            intrigued now so once I've got a bit more time I'm going to find out
            more.

            Also, does anyone know who the Dark Lady of Logie was? Apparently
            Annfield House, Annfield Street, is famous for its connection with
            her. Any clues I can follow up on will be gratefully received.

            Lindsey Harley
          • Xantheand@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 11, 2004
              Lindsey,

              Thanks for that. What are the year books you mention? They sound like a mine
              of information.

              Cheers
              Sue
              Harrow, England

              PS The Dark Lady of Logie rings a bell, but a rather faint one. I'll keep her
              in mind and see if the ringing gets any louder.

            • Lindsey
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 15, 2004
                The Dundee Year Books are kind of a cross between a directory of
                names & addresses and an almanac, I suppose you could describe it.
                They are, indeed, chock full of information.

                Lindsey
              • David
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 4, 2004
                  They used to say on one of those thundery days that we got in
                  Dundee "it's no been this dark since the Dark Day". A favourite
                  aunt, born 1900, reported having made the remark to someone older,
                  and getting the retort "you're ower young tae mind the Dark Day!".
                  So that would seem to place it in the first years of the 20th century
                  at the very latest.

                  As for the lightning strike on the Wellgate kirk, I was there at the
                  time, and I left Dundee in January 1972, so that backs Peter up.
                  There was of course much speculation as to whether the strike was
                  divine retribution for some decision of the kirk session, behaviour
                  of the clergy, heresy or whatever!

                  David
                  Tonbridge, Kent/Lagrasse, Aude

                  --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "Sue Anderson"