RE: [dundee-history] The dark day etc

  • Ken Anton
    Message 1 of 9 , May 24, 2003
      Hi Sue,

      I've also heard about the Dark Day, but am not sure when it was.

      I do remember a day, probably in early 1971, when there was a terrible
      thunderstorm over the town. Lightning struck a few buildings, including the
      spire of St. Andrews church near the Wellgate.

      I was in primary 7 at Glebelands school then, and we could see from our
      top-floor classroom window right over the town, and saw the lightning
      strike. It was a very wet day.

      The spire of the church was partly demolished, and masonry fell through the
      roof into the buildings. The brass Wyvern (is that how it's spelled?) on
      the top was found in the churchyard, restored and replaced once the spire
      was rebuilt.

      Best regards

      Ken Anton
      now in Fife!

      Message 2 of 9 , May 25, 2003
        Hi peeps.

        There was some discussion in The Courier's "Craigie Column" some months
        ago about "The Dark Day".
        As far as I can remember, it was in 1930 or thereabouts. It affected much
        of the east coast for an hour or so, making it so dark streetlights were
        on, as somebody already said.

        Doon.

        * For Dundonians +++ www.DoonTheToon.ukf.net +++ everywhere!*
        _
        ( ) ASCII ribbon campaign
        X against HTML e-mail
        / \

      • Grant E. L. Buttars
        Message 3 of 9 , May 26, 2003
          --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Anton" <ken.anton@t...>
          wrote:
          > Hi Sue,
          >
          > I've also heard about the Dark Day, but am not sure when it was.
          >
          > I do remember a day, probably in early 1971, when there was a
          terrible
          > thunderstorm over the town. Lightning struck a few buildings,
          including the
          > spire of St. Andrews church near the Wellgate.

          Ken,

          Are you sure it was as early as 1971? I seem to remember this, though
          I'd only have been 3 in 1971, so it's unlikely. Perhaps it took
          several years to repair the church, and that's what I'm actually
          remembering.

          Grant Buttars
        • Ken Anton
          Message 4 of 9 , May 26, 2003
            Hi Grant,

            Yes, it was definitely 1971, as I left primary school that summer. It did
            take a few years to completely repair the spire... I'm not sure how long,
            but do remember there was a feature in the Courier or 'Tele about the
            wyvern.

            There was an interview with the church warden, I think, and the history of
            why a Welsh wyvern was on the spire in Dundee (Can't remember that bit,
            though!).

            Best regards

            Ken

            > I've also heard about the Dark Day, but am not sure when it was.
            >
            > I do remember a day, probably in early 1971, when there was a
            terrible
            > thunderstorm over the town. Lightning struck a few buildings,
            including the
            > spire of St. Andrews church near the Wellgate.

            Ken,

            Are you sure it was as early as 1971? I seem to remember this, though
            I'd only have been 3 in 1971, so it's unlikely. Perhaps it took
            several years to repair the church, and that's what I'm actually
            remembering.

            Grant Buttars
          • Lindsey
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 10, 2004
              > My father told me that events in Dundee were located in time by
              the
              > following three events: the day the bridge came down, the dark day
              > and the wet review.

              Right, I know I'm way behind on this thread but the dark day was
              mentioned in a book I read yesterday. The dark day was apparently 12
              August 1883 and is mentioned in the Year Book for 1884. I'm hoping
              I'll have time to get over to the library tomorrow to check out some
              other stuff so I will look for this as well. This has got me
              intrigued now so once I've got a bit more time I'm going to find out
              more.

              Also, does anyone know who the Dark Lady of Logie was? Apparently
              Annfield House, Annfield Street, is famous for its connection with
              her. Any clues I can follow up on will be gratefully received.

              Lindsey Harley
            • Xantheand@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 11, 2004
                Lindsey,

                Thanks for that. What are the year books you mention? They sound like a mine
                of information.

                Cheers
                Sue
                Harrow, England

                PS The Dark Lady of Logie rings a bell, but a rather faint one. I'll keep her
                in mind and see if the ringing gets any louder.

              • Lindsey
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 15, 2004
                  The Dundee Year Books are kind of a cross between a directory of
                  names & addresses and an almanac, I suppose you could describe it.
                  They are, indeed, chock full of information.

                  Lindsey
                • David
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 4, 2004
                    They used to say on one of those thundery days that we got in
                    Dundee "it's no been this dark since the Dark Day". A favourite
                    aunt, born 1900, reported having made the remark to someone older,
                    and getting the retort "you're ower young tae mind the Dark Day!".
                    So that would seem to place it in the first years of the 20th century
                    at the very latest.

                    As for the lightning strike on the Wellgate kirk, I was there at the
                    time, and I left Dundee in January 1972, so that backs Peter up.
                    There was of course much speculation as to whether the strike was
                    divine retribution for some decision of the kirk session, behaviour
                    of the clergy, heresy or whatever!

                    David
                    Tonbridge, Kent/Lagrasse, Aude

                    --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "Sue Anderson"