Witches Blood

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 6 , May 21, 2003
      Hi everyone,

      This isn't a historical question but here goes!!

      Does anyone know who the author of the book "Witches Blood" is and is
      it still in print?

      The story is set in Dundee in the 18th - 19th century and is about
      the rise of a family.

      Any help appreciated

      Mark
    • dave perks
      Message 2 of 6 , May 21, 2003
        William Blain is the author. I don't know if it is still in print. You could
        try David Winter in Dundee. That is where I got my copy. Dave Perks
        > This isn't a historical question but here goes!!
        >
        > Does anyone know who the author of the book "Witches Blood" is and is
        > it still in print?
        >
        > The story is set in Dundee in the 18th - 19th century and is about
        > the rise of a family.
        >
        > Any help appreciated
        >
        > Mark
        >

        > Please remember to bookmark our Home Page. Those with Yahoo IDs will be
        able to view our Archives of Messages,Files, and Bookmarks. Go to:

      • Grant E. L. Buttars
        Message 3 of 6 , May 21, 2003
          Mark,

          Witch's Blood (that's the way it's spelt) came up when I did a
          search at www.amazon.co.uk but not as a new book. I think it
          possibly is currently out of print. It was written by William
          Blain, who lived near me and whose son was a great childhood friend
          of my father.

          The story begins much earlier than you think. It starts in the
          Cromwellian period and finishes in the late 19th century. I
          thoroughly recommend it, if you can get a copy. While it is not an
          accurate history of Dundee, it closely mirrors real events and some
          of its characters are based on real people.

          Regards,

          Grant Buttars
        • grant_a_1969
          Message 4 of 6 , May 21, 2003
            hi.. i'm from Dundee, moved to the USA when I was 10 in 1980.. my
            aunt mailed over this book to my mother about 9 years ago.. she keeps
            it in her book case. It's a fairly modern copy so it's probably not
            too hard to track down.. you should check e-bay. you can probably
            find a paper back for a few dollars. All I remember is that they
            burn a witch in it.. and I remember my mother trying to discourage me
            from reading it since she considered it a "womans book" what ever
            that means I have no idea.. I assumed it was full of boring drama
            about people doing dramatic things.. lots of people complaining about
            their social class and all that traditional drama. So I never did
            read far enough in it to see the exciting bits about them burning a
            witch.

            I do have this really fantastic book called "in search of scotland"
            by H.V Morton it was written around late 1920's and it's about this
            guy who gets in his little car (this is non-fiction by the way) and
            he travels all around Scotland and writes about his thoughts and
            feelings and the history of the places he visits. He goes everywhere
            the roads will take him. It must have been very popular during it's
            time because there seems to be literally dozens of reprintings of
            it. I highly recommend. There is just something about the way that
            he writes thats just really inspiring. I loved this book so much
            that I was once inspired to do a modern day version of it. Try and
            track down all the same locations he went to.. speak to local
            people.. take tons of photographs with a really nice camera, etc. but
            I'm sort of stuck in the USA for the time being and it's a dream
            thats been on the back burner of my life to the poin that I rarely
            think about it.

            By pure chance I took a look for it on e-bay and I see one listed for
            $15. You should give it a read.. you'll like it. It also has the
            most fantastic old fashioned photographs of Scotland. I think it's
            those old silver trace element process pictures that gives everything
            that weird sureal golden brown highly detailed effect. I liked
            everything about this book.. I think that Witches Blood book is
            probably a Soap Opra of sorts.. with lots of uptight people all
            standing around saying things like, "oh wid' ya' stop that Mowrag..
            whut wull a' tha neighbors think..?" maybe I'm wrong.. but that was
            my basic impression of it. It does supposedly have a witch burning
            in it someplace.. so maybe it's not too bad.. it might have some
            history of dundee thats gives an insight on how things used to be..
            but recently I watched a VHS tape with my mother called "auld dundee"
            and she being auld herself (mid 70's) she thought it was done rather
            badly.. and they missed a lot of important historical details and
            made some dumb blunders in really obvious locations that they failed
            to cover. I got the impression that it was done for money or by
            idiots.. the tape was copied badly too.. anway, my point is, if
            you want to find out about Dundee, you have to track down some old
            people in dundee.. that last generation that knows about the old days
            is slipping away more and more every day. it's an entire world thats
            will be gone from all record in a few years..

            you can send me an e-mail directly to my regular e-mail at
            confuser_friendly@... if I can be of any help with the
            witches blood book or anything else about dundee.

            later,

            Grant

            --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <mbev23@y...> wrote:
            > Hi everyone,
            >
            > This isn't a historical question but here goes!!
            >
            > Does anyone know who the author of the book "Witches Blood" is and
            is
            > it still in print?
            >
            > The story is set in Dundee in the 18th - 19th century and is about
            > the rise of a family.
            >
            > Any help appreciated
            >
            > Mark
          • linda_sayegh
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 29, 2004
              -Hi there

              I bought a copy in the Bargain Bookshop in Princes Street in
              Edinburgh last year.

              Linda
            • Linda Sayegh
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 22, 2006
                ---

                Mark

                This book is still available. Check it out online on Amazon
                or you can get it at any bookshop.

                I got a copy just last year.

                Linda