Inverkeithing - Shipbreaking

  • Barbara Neish
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 13, 2003
      Hello Everyone:

      I know that Ships, that were no longer seaworthy, were taken to Inverkeithing where they were broken up for scrap-metal, etc. I have seen the names of such ships of the 20th Century mentioned and so wonder if records exist of the names of ships taken there in the 19th Century.

      While I have much information of the "Birth" of many ships that were connected with my family, their "Demise" is something I have often wondered about. Having not found them listed as "wrecked", finding they were broken up for salvage would be interesting - otherwise, I am left to wonder - did they go down without a trace ? - or - did the Pirates get them ? Is there anyone with information on Iverkeithing - such as the years it operated? Might old records exist, somewhere?

      Much obliged,
      Barbara Neish
      Bermuda
      neishnook@...

    • Ken Anton
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 14, 2003
        Hi Barbara

        What about those which were sold and re-named by their new owners, or
        re-registered in another country? That would account for the names being
        untraceable.

        The huge pile of rusted metal in the breaking yard at Inverkeithing is still
        there, highly visible from the railway line!

        Regards

        Ken