Re: [dundee-history] Dundee Jute Mills

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 12, 2002
      At 10:50 PM 11/12/2002 -0400, Barbara Neisg wrote:
      >Hello Everyone :
      >
      >I am wondering if a Map, or even a simple Listing, exists that shows the
      >name and location of the many Jute Mills that were around Dundee in the
      >1800's.

      Barbara, I am wondering how best to help you. There are many incomplete
      lists in various reference books, and an interesting display of mills in
      various maps. Is there something specific you are looking for?

      I am reluctant to set about scanning some of these lists, because i might
      be missing the key question you want answers to! There were flax and jute
      mills all over the town, over the years, a constantly changing pattern.

      You might find that the Local Studies section of the Central library in
      Dundee might have a good listing in one of their many annual Directories of
      the town. Can you sharpen up your enquiry maybe?

      Jimmie Robertson