Dundee Jute Mills

  • Barbara Neish
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 12, 2002
      Hello Everyone :

      I am wondering if a Map, or even a simple Listing, exists that shows the name and location of the many Jute Mills that were around Dundee in the 1800's. When I was in Dundee, recently, I visited Verdant Works, the Jute Mill Museum and there, painted on the wall, was one. While I didn't feel that one, even, was complete, it was impressive.

      I must compliment Dundee for having such a wonderful living museum as Verdant Works. I spent many hours there and could, easily, have spent days; there was just so much to see and learn. It was announced, however, that it is in fear of closing very very soon, for lack of funding. It would be a crime should Dundee lose such an important part of its Heritage and I can only hope that some Organisation will step forward and save it.

      You can visit their web-site at www.verdantworks.com

      Hopeful in Bermuda
      Barbara Neish
      neishnook@...

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 12, 2002
        At 10:50 PM 11/12/2002 -0400, Barbara Neisg wrote:
        >Hello Everyone :
        >
        >I am wondering if a Map, or even a simple Listing, exists that shows the
        >name and location of the many Jute Mills that were around Dundee in the
        >1800's.

        Barbara, I am wondering how best to help you. There are many incomplete
        lists in various reference books, and an interesting display of mills in
        various maps. Is there something specific you are looking for?

        I am reluctant to set about scanning some of these lists, because i might
        be missing the key question you want answers to! There were flax and jute
        mills all over the town, over the years, a constantly changing pattern.

        You might find that the Local Studies section of the Central library in
        Dundee might have a good listing in one of their many annual Directories of
        the town. Can you sharpen up your enquiry maybe?

        Jimmie Robertson