General Monk's Treasure

  • gray1720
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2002
      Greetings all,

      Radio 4 this morning was getting quite excited over a new expedition
      to find the loot plundered from Dundee on Oliver Cromwell's orders,
      only to be lost in the Tay in a storm.

      Obviously this made a great impression on Dundonians as the traffic
      it has generated on Dundee History has been nil until I opened the
      bowling.

      So... What is the story behind it all, and what are the chances of
      them finding anything other than mud?

      Adrian
    • grant_buttars
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 4, 2002
        It's all quite exciting. I hope they do manage to locate the ships
        and the 'booty'. There was talk on one news program of a museum to
        house what they recover being built in Dundee, but I don't know if
        this is a concrete plan or just someone's idea.

        The Scotsman has a piece today:
        http://www.thescotsman.co.uk/scotland.cfm?id=721112002

        Grant Buttars
      • Ken Anton
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 4, 2002
          Grant,

          The Scotsman's article is fascinating.

          There's also a good item in today's Courier which tells the same story from
          a different angle:
          http://www.thecourier.co.uk/febcourierrede/NewsStory.cfm?StoryID=25369&Today
          =040702

          Regards