Re: Help

  • jimrob_009
    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2002
      Some very helpful tips have surfaced recently on how one might start
      to do some family history research based around the Dundee area.
      Randie Casias, Grant Buttars and Ken Anton have each given good entry
      points to help one get started. I have to give a tiny plug here for
      the Angus Surname List, which is at http://jimjar.net/Angus. The
      opeing Index page also gives some very local leads to help get
      started.

      Just let me remind everyone of the Description for our Group , which
      is at the head of our Home Page. It goes something like this : -
      <<<<<<
      Description.
      This list is for people interested in the history of Dundee and
      surroundings in Angus, Perthshire, and Fife.

      Genealogical queries are best handled by the Tay Valley FHS, or the
      Angus List at Rootsweb, and _not_ through this list. This list is for
      discussing general Dundee history,

      We are very good at helping with locational queries, buildings,
      streets, districts - both old and new!

      It is good for us to take periodic excursions into this family
      history research area, so that we can continue to help one another.
      Although our so called Archives, and File areas do have a lot of inf
      re buildings and localities in the 1800s , and more recent 1900s, we
      are being very helpful to each other on much more recent events and
      localities. I think that this is great. I hope that everyone feels
      the same way about our trends.

      Jimmie Robertson

      I should add a PostScript - designed to spur myself on to completion.
      I have recently extracted all the trade adverts from a small range of
      books which I have on my shelves, which date from 1904 up to the
      mid '30s. I have completed an Index by Trading Company name, and am
      now making a cross ref Index by Trade, or type of Business. When
      completed in a few weeks, this will be posted in our Files area, and
      I will be glad to respond to individual enquiries.

      Jim R