Re: SEAGATE HOTEL PHOTOS--BERNIE DONAGHEY

  • angels30@ntlworld.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2001
      Thanks for the advice ViV,

      But I updated my AVG virus checker and find no viruses on my system -
      I am clean !!!

      Regards

      Don

      --- In dundee-history@y..., "Viv Martin" <martinvg@m...> wrote:
      > Hi Gerry & Don
      >
      > Update your Anti-Virus and scan your system; I think you have landed
      > a virus! This pattern is doing the rounds of most lists at the
      moment.

      > Kind regards
      >
      > Viv Martin
      >
      > ,-._|\ Viv Martin, PO Box 341, Mentone, Victoria, Australia
      3194
      > / Oz \ Ph.03 9583 5372 ~ Mobile 0419 310 235. Member of
      > \_,--.x/ Melbourne PC User Group Inc.,CAV,AIGS,GSV,Martin FHS,
      > v various world FHS. Accredited Quicken/QuickBooks
      trainer.

      DONAGHEY

      > Hi Gerry,
      >
      > I too was sent photo's by Bernie and was unable to open the
      files.
      > When I emailed him I was unable to contact him. I decided to
      remove
      > the ( - )dash from the front of his e-mail address and this
      allowed
      > me to send the message without encountering an undeliverable
      notice,
      > but so far I have had no reply. Do you know Bernie personally ?
      >
      > Regards
      >
      > Don
      >
      > --- In dundee-history@y..., gerrylowden@s... wrote:
      > > Hello Bernie, I received your e-mail but I am unable to open
      the
      > > files that you sent. Can you please send them as a jpg and
      > hopefully
      > > I will have success! I am really excited about seeing the phots
      as
      > > dont have any. By the way is this your correct e-mail as I am
      > unable
      > > to e-mail directly?Thanks Gerry Lowden
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      >

      > Don't forget to update your Bookmarks cum Favourites.
      >
      > our old ones won't work ! Re-set to

      > All our Archives will be found there.

      Service.

    • Viv Martin
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 2, 2001
        Hi Don

        The underscore in front of the email is typical of the
        worm (virus)

        Win32.Badtrans.29020

        It may be a comparatively new variant which means any
        virus checker that is not kept up to date puts the
        user at risk. A lady reported recently that between
        updates of 5 hours she was hit with a new virus! This
        is extreme, I know, but illustrates how it can happen
        to anybody. Here are some more details:

        Win32.Badtrans.29020 virus
        Sat Dec 1 10:11:35 2001
        This new virus is a insidious worm spreading via e-mail. The worm replies to
        all read and unread messages and attaches itself using a name constructed
        from different parts.

        Opening the attachment will infect your computer and sends itself out using
        the sender's e-mail address, and adding a "_" character at the beginning of
        the address.

        Users with good Anti-Virus software should be reasonably safe, however the
        best practice is never to open an attachment unless you are absolutely sure
        it is genuine and intended for you. Users of mailers other than those by
        Microsoft may possibly be less likely to be affected and may only receive a
        blank message with the altered "From" address.

        The old story holds - if you do not have any Anti-Virus protection you have
        no-one to blame but yourself for becoming infected.

        Full details about the virus and its effects can be found at
        http://www3.ca.com/Virus/Virus.asp?ID=10579

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 3, 2001
          Hi Viv,

          Thanks for the update, but I am assured that my AVG Virus checker is
          fully updated and I have run a check on all my drives and files with
          no virus reports.

          This particular virus appears to be doing the rounds of Yahoo Groups,
          I have had several reports of it on the "France 1940" Group !!!

          PS I had my Flu jab today maybe that'll help :-)

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/