RE: [dundee-history] Re: SEAGATE HOTEL PHOTOS--BERNIE DONAGHEY

  • Viv Martin
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 29, 2001
      Hi Gerry & Don

      Update your Anti-Virus and scan your system; I think you have landed
      a virus! This pattern is doing the rounds of most lists at the moment.

      Kind regards

      Viv Martin

      ,-._|\ Viv Martin, PO Box 341, Mentone, Victoria, Australia 3194
      / Oz \ Ph.03 9583 5372 ~ Mobile 0419 310 235. Member of
      \_,--.x/ Melbourne PC User Group Inc.,CAV,AIGS,GSV,Martin FHS,
      v various world FHS. Accredited Quicken/QuickBooks trainer.

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 2001
        Thanks for the advice ViV,

        But I updated my AVG virus checker and find no viruses on my system -
        I am clean !!!

        Regards

        Don

        --- In dundee-history@y..., "Viv Martin" <martinvg@m...> wrote:
        > Hi Gerry & Don
        >
        > Update your Anti-Virus and scan your system; I think you have landed
        > a virus! This pattern is doing the rounds of most lists at the
        moment.

        > Kind regards
        >
        > Viv Martin
        >
        > ,-._|\ Viv Martin, PO Box 341, Mentone, Victoria, Australia
        3194
        > / Oz \ Ph.03 9583 5372 ~ Mobile 0419 310 235. Member of
        > \_,--.x/ Melbourne PC User Group Inc.,CAV,AIGS,GSV,Martin FHS,
        > v various world FHS. Accredited Quicken/QuickBooks
        trainer.

        DONAGHEY

        > Hi Gerry,
        >
        > I too was sent photo's by Bernie and was unable to open the
        files.
        > When I emailed him I was unable to contact him. I decided to
        remove
        > the ( - )dash from the front of his e-mail address and this
        allowed
        > me to send the message without encountering an undeliverable
        notice,
        > but so far I have had no reply. Do you know Bernie personally ?
        >
        > Regards
        >
        > Don
        >
        > --- In dundee-history@y..., gerrylowden@s... wrote:
        > > Hello Bernie, I received your e-mail but I am unable to open
        the
        > > files that you sent. Can you please send them as a jpg and
        > hopefully
        > > I will have success! I am really excited about seeing the phots
        as
        > > dont have any. By the way is this your correct e-mail as I am
        > unable
        > > to e-mail directly?Thanks Gerry Lowden
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        >

        > Don't forget to update your Bookmarks cum Favourites.
        >
        > our old ones won't work ! Re-set to

        > All our Archives will be found there.

        Service.

      • Viv Martin
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 2, 2001
          Hi Don

          The underscore in front of the email is typical of the
          worm (virus)

          Win32.Badtrans.29020

          It may be a comparatively new variant which means any
          virus checker that is not kept up to date puts the
          user at risk. A lady reported recently that between
          updates of 5 hours she was hit with a new virus! This
          is extreme, I know, but illustrates how it can happen
          to anybody. Here are some more details:

          Win32.Badtrans.29020 virus
          Sat Dec 1 10:11:35 2001
          This new virus is a insidious worm spreading via e-mail. The worm replies to
          all read and unread messages and attaches itself using a name constructed
          from different parts.

          Opening the attachment will infect your computer and sends itself out using
          the sender's e-mail address, and adding a "_" character at the beginning of
          the address.

          Users with good Anti-Virus software should be reasonably safe, however the
          best practice is never to open an attachment unless you are absolutely sure
          it is genuine and intended for you. Users of mailers other than those by
          Microsoft may possibly be less likely to be affected and may only receive a
          blank message with the altered "From" address.

          The old story holds - if you do not have any Anti-Virus protection you have
          no-one to blame but yourself for becoming infected.

          Full details about the virus and its effects can be found at
          http://www3.ca.com/Virus/Virus.asp?ID=10579

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 3, 2001
            Hi Viv,

            Thanks for the update, but I am assured that my AVG Virus checker is
            fully updated and I have run a check on all my drives and files with
            no virus reports.

            This particular virus appears to be doing the rounds of Yahoo Groups,
            I have had several reports of it on the "France 1940" Group !!!

            PS I had my Flu jab today maybe that'll help :-)

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/