Re: NORTH ELLEN STREET

  • angels30@ntlworld.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 18, 2001
      --- In dundee-history@y..., Meille3@a... wrote:
      > Catherine, Don....Read with great interest your exchanges regarding
      > Hilltown....My
      > GGGrandfather has been listed on all the birth, death, etc.
      certificates as a
      > 'weaver"
      > after doing the same in Co. Cavan, which they left, probabaly
      either because
      > of relig-
      > ious difficulties there or the lure of better work in Dundee. My
      GGF's bride
      > and father
      > also are listed as weavers; the former as "handloom" weaver (would
      that mean
      > most
      > likely she was working at home?). Would firms for whom they may
      have worked
      > have any record keeping mechanisms in place at that time.....or
      were employees
      > just "paid in cash on Friday"????
      > Also, curiously, would l3l Hilltown and/or 55 Rosebank
      streets still
      > be in exist-
      > ance. My GGF and his bride lived at the Hilltown address after
      their
      > marriage (even
      > then husbands moved in with the in-laws!) but had been at the
      Rosebank
      > address be-
      > fore his marriage. Also (although I doubt it) are those buildings
      still in
      > existance?
      > Would certainly appreciate any information any of you might
      have.
      > Barbara

      Barbara,

      I have some *accurate* information re Irish immigrants to Dundee
      especially the hilltown and possibly around your GGGF's era although
      not specific to him. I doubt that they would have moved for the
      reason of "better working conditions" the living and working
      conditions of Irish immigrants were little better than those of
      animals and their wages desperately poor. I'll try and put something
      together for you!!!

      Regards

      Don
    • Meille3@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 18, 2001
        Don...Just got your message. Thank you, thank you!! I'd appreciate anything
        you
        could find relative to Mary Ann and Alex's time in Dundee...
        From what I'd read previously I didn't really expect that working
        conditions would
        be better than what they may have been in Co. Cavan - I think there may
        already
        have been Gambles in Dundee (1) and (2) according to family records Alex's
        family
        left Co. Cavan in 1841 - just at the time of (apparently) rather severe
        uprisings in the
        area (My family was Church of Ireland and according to several other bits and
        pieces
        of Irish history, Co. Cavan was very predominantly Catholic.)
        Looking forward with great anticipation to what ever you may be able
        to find....
        Again, thanks so much Barb Gamble Kennedy
        Columbia, MO USA

      • Ken Anton
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 19, 2001
          Hello everyone.

          Here's some info I have posted previously, but will hopefully help some of
          the newcomers!

          To find out if an address still exists, go to the Royal Mail web site to
          find the postal code:
          http://www.royalmail.co.uk/quick_tools/postcodes/default.htm

          Select PostCode Finder, and enter the address. If it still exists, you will
          get the postcode.
          E.g. for 55 Rosebank Street, the postcode is DD3 6LZ.

          The postcode narrows the area down to about a dozen addresses.

          Now go to the MultiMap web site
          http://uk.multimap.com

          and enter the postcode.
          On the main map pages, a red circle shows the approximate vicinity.
          Alternatively, use the "Aerial Photos" page for a photo of the area.

          Although you may not necessarily be able to work out the exact house/flat,
          you will get a general appreciation of the area.

          Hope this helps!

          Best regards

          Ken Anton

          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 20, 2001
            Hi Ken,
            This is a great site, thanks for bringing it to our attention.
            Catherine
            > Here's some info I have posted previously, but will hopefully help some of
            > the newcomers!
            >
            > To find out if an address still exists, go to the Royal Mail web site to
            > find the postal code:
            > http://www.royalmail.co.uk/quick_tools/postcodes/default.htm
            >
            > Select PostCode Finder, and enter the address. If it still exists, you
            will
            > get the postcode.
            > E.g. for 55 Rosebank Street, the postcode is DD3 6LZ.
            >
            > The postcode narrows the area down to about a dozen addresses.
            >
            > Now go to the MultiMap web site
            > http://uk.multimap.com
            >
            > and enter the postcode.
            > On the main map pages, a red circle shows the approximate vicinity.
            > Alternatively, use the "Aerial Photos" page for a photo of the area.
            >
            > Although you may not necessarily be able to work out the exact house/flat,
            > you will get a general appreciation of the area.
            >
            > Hope this helps!
            >
            > Best regards
            >
            > Ken Anton

          • danifax
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 9, 2001
              A Hand Loom Weaver was just that, a weaver operating a hand loom. The
              contrary was the Power Loom Weaver, or Steam Loom Weaver. Yes, one
              might be the cottage industry, the other a mill worker. Dundee took
              on many of those fleeing the potatoe famine, some records show as
              much as one third of all those reaching Scotland.

              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 9, 2001
                Thanks for the affirmation re hand loom weavers...although I'm not sure (and
                really
                have no idea of how to) whether they left Co. Cavan because of religious
                intolerance
                (sp?) or the famine...Since what we've been able to find to date (the Gamble
                family
                leaving between 1834 and 1841) I tend to think it was religion...but 161
                years later,
                who knows?
                My previous message asked about the possibility of names at the given
                addresses; that would really be a help. So far it's been quite a challenge
                to uncover
                brothers and sisters of my GGF & GGM.... Thanks so much!!